Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Maxima which I have had for two years. It has about 240k miles and I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles. The automatic transmission is starting to act up. From a dead stop sometimes it seems like it's slipping then it will shift hard right into second. Anyway, the transmission is the least of my worries. The car has a really bad case of rust. So here's my question. I have found an 02 Maxima SE 6 speed with a blown motor. Would it be possible to swap the 3.0 out of my current car and drop it into the 02?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,517 Posts
Well, "anything is possible." But unless you are into swapping out the ECM and wiring harness among other things, then you probably won't want to get involved in such a swap. The VQ35DE of the 2002 with it's variable valve timing is quite a bit different than the VQ30DE of the 2001 Maxima. It'll certainly fit and bolt up to the transmission, it's just not a "drop it in and go" direct replacement swap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, "anything is possible." But unless you are into swapping out the ECM and wiring harness among other things, then you probably won't want to get involved in such a swap. The VQ35DE of the 2002 with it's variable valve timing is quite a bit different than the VQ30DE of the 2001 Maxima. It'll certainly fit and bolt up to the transmission, it's just not a "drop it in and go" direct replacement swap.
Well if money were no object, then sure.....but since I have a good running engine in search of a better body and transmission, I'm just trying to work with what I have....

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,517 Posts
In that case, it's best to stick to 2000 and 2001 model years, but you can probably get it to drop into 95-99 models by swapping the intakes. Also, keep in mind there were some differences in California and Federal emission vehicles, so you may have to swap intakes even on 00-01 engine swaps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts