Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here is the deal, I just got my new short ram air intake from hotshot, took them a while though but I got it finally. I just put it in and I have never realize that the mass air sensor in my car, a 1998 200sx se, was never plug to anything. is this normal.

also the one sensor that goes inside the tube that comes from the fender to the stock box for the air filter does not have anywhere to go, since the short ram air uses a cone filter, is this good, I do show the check engine light now that that particular sensor is not inside the tube and is just floating in the air.

Should I have a connection for the mass air somewhere that i am not seing it, and how the check engine light never went off when the stock intake was put on the car even though there was no connection to the mass air?

is the other sensor that critical, the one in the stock tube I talked about before.

·
M-kay...
128 Posts
ok YOU NEED the mass air flow sensor, it should be connected, there should be a wire that is probably just hanging around, see if that is for the mass air flow sensor. If u don't plug in the MAF sensor, u might mess up ur car. As for the other sesor that came off the stock box, that's the air temepreture sensor, which u also need. What u should do is place it near the cone or some how inside the cone.

·
Spidey One
164 Posts
MAF sensor

I'm going to install mi shortram intake this weekend. I'm hoping not to run into any problems with my MAF sensor and Temp sensor...but one never knows. But about that Mass Air Flow sensor, it should be connected...check a loose connector that's laying around in your engine bay..

:thumbup:

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
your most likely talking about the air temp sensor
i dont think youd get far with your MAF unplugged

·
Registered
265 Posts
Radioaktiv said:
your most likely talking about the air temp sensor
i dont think youd get far with your MAF unplugged
Yep, Radioaktiv is right. You should have trouble starting the car it the MAF was unplugged. If it really is the MAF then the previous owner may have swapped to a MAP sensor, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must have looked for hours for that one connection but I just can't find it.

The car runs excellent, no check engine light comes on nothing.

I did screw in the one sensor that is located in the rubber booth of the intake to the new stainless steel pipe that comes with the short ram air kit, is this the mass air sensor i am not sure, but there is one more wire with a plastic connector that should be connected to something and I just can't figure out to what. It was unplug with the stock intake.

I am very confused. I guess I should take some pictures and let you guys decide.

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
im 99% sure its the air temp sensor

like was said earlier, as long as it is near your intake you're good

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
ebricenojr said:
I was planning to insert my temp sensor in my filter...but my intake has a heat shield, so I guess I'll just zip tie it to the front of my air filter...
good choice either way.

·
Spidey One
164 Posts
Well everyone...the install has FAILED!!! My short ram intake did not fit right in my engine bay. Only 2 hoses were provided and my small hose is too short for the small nipple on the intake. Not to mention that the holes on the plate that comes with the filter is too far apart to fit my MAF... WHAT A CROCK OF SH*T!!! Any suggestions besides buying more hoses that are long enough and drilling holes in the plate provided???

I would greatly appreciate the feedback, thanks.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Sounds like you got the sr20 maf adaptor.
Where di you get it. If you cant return it, just do what you said above. Shouldnt be to had to make work.

·
Spidey One
164 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
Sounds like you got the sr20 maf adaptor.
Where di you get it. If you cant return it, just do what you said above. Shouldnt be to had to make work.
Yeah, I'm waiting for the seller to contact me back...but I'll probably end up drilling and extending hoses, etc...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ebricenojr said:
Yeah, I'm waiting for the seller to contact me back...but I'll probably end up drilling and extending hoses, etc...
Eddie, who sold you the short ram air kit. I got my from hot shot performance, first of all they took forever to deliver, then the same problem you are having with the holes I had. I just went to the local hardware store and got longer screws. The hoses were fine though.

I think I made a mistake on mentioning the MAF sensor. That one is plug in. There is one more sensor that was unplug, and it is between the MAF and the cone, or the stupid box for the air filter if you have it stock, that one I cannot figure out what it is. any ideas

·
Spidey One
164 Posts
MARCPOSADA said:
Eddie, who sold you the short ram air kit. I got my from hot shot performance, first of all they took forever to deliver, then the same problem you are having with the holes I had. I just went to the local hardware store and got longer screws. The hoses were fine though.

I think I made a mistake on mentioning the MAF sensor. That one is plug in. There is one more sensor that was unplug, and it is between the MAF and the cone, or the stupid box for the air filter if you have it stock, that one I cannot figure out what it is. any ideas
MY fault was that I got it off eBay and it's a Bomz (same thing)...the plug you're talking about is the Air Temp Sensor and that you can zip tie it to the front of your air filter (cone). I'm going to sit with my mechanic and check out what we can come up with because I doubt that guy is going to refund my money...but we'll see.

When you say you got "longer screws" you mean that the holes from the bracket that goes into the MAF lined up with your MAF???? Because that's the problem I'm having...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I may be wrong, but I can only find the short ram for the sr. Do they make one for the GA? You might have bought an intake for the wrong motor.
Not sure though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ups...Sorry dude. The holes on my plate lined up correctly....but the screws I got were too thick and too short for them.

Maybe you could fabricate something out of aluminum plate for it. how do the holes look like. are they in an inner bolt pattern that your cone is or is it an outside bolt patern?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts