Nissan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guy's I had to figure out just how to get my car going and now I know! I should have opted for a stick because these little engines simply need more rpm then this auto trans is programed to give! The engine can not build the proper rpms to put it into the sweet spot of the engine. My next question fellas is does anyone know of a recalibration kit for this valve body? Also is there somthing that can be done through programing to the ecu?? I have never in my life driven an auto vehical that simply can not get the engine into the power band like this. Please help or I might just have to convert it to a stick! lol !!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ok guy's I had to figure out just how to get my car going and now I know! I should have opted for a stick because these little engines simply need more rpm then this auto trans is programed to give! The engine can not build the proper rpms to put it into the sweet spot of the engine. My next question fellas is does anyone know of a recalibration kit for this valve body? Also is there somthing that can be done through programing to the ecu?? I have never in my life driven an auto vehical that simply can not get the engine into the power band like this. Please help or I might just have to convert it to a stick! lol !!
Mine works great. I can hit nearly 6,000RPM's with no issues on my auto. This car is quick for a family little car and gets great MPG. Either you have tranny issues or something else isn't right.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What year is your car? Forgot to ask,what do you consider quick?
Mines a 99 Sentra GXE auto. Reving to 6,000 or close is pretty good on any car. Mine runs a 10.04 in the 1/4 mile...just kidding. What I meant by quick is it gets up and goes for me. For example, I can pass any car with no issues. I love this car about as much as I loved my 94 honda civic. Just as realible but cheaper on parts.

Jason

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine will move if I punch it to the floor,i guess if you have never driev a car with a good shifting trans it's hard to tell what I am talking about. My truck shifts very solid and I am used to that.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mine will move if I punch it to the floor,i guess if you have never driev a car with a good shifting trans it's hard to tell what I am talking about. My truck shifts very solid and I am used to that.
Trust me, I know a good shifting car. I raced a 91 Mustang 5.0 with 3.73 gears with a T-5 tranny. This car shifts just as good as any other car I have ever driven(non-race). Comparing a truck to a car is a no no. These trannies don't compare even close, especially since the gear ratio is way off. Compare this to a civic and you'll be right on the nose. This car actually has more pickup or just as much as any civic.

Jason

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude a Mustang with a t-5 is no comparison to what I am referring to. I am talking about my 69 Firebird with a built turbo 400 or my Dodge truck with a built 47rh. Both vehicles make huge torque and are auto transmissions and both will give you a kick in the back when they shift. Again I have been driving these vehicles that are autos and then I jump into an economy car big difference. All I am saying is it's hard making the transition.... I'm not trying to be be a dick but these cars simply put are tourq-less and that I believe is the problem,not the transmission. All that being said after looking around transgo does offer a shift kit that I will install asap. As soon as I can find a bit of time. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dude a Mustang with a t-5 is no comparison to what I am referring to. I am talking about my 69 Firebird with a built turbo 400 or my Dodge truck with a built 47rh. Both vehicles make huge torque and are auto transmissions and both will give you a kick in the back when they shift. Again I have been driving these vehicles that are autos and then I jump into an economy car big difference. All I am saying is it's hard making the transition.... I'm not trying to be be a dick but these cars simply put are tourq-less and that I believe is the problem,not the transmission. All that being said after looking around transgo does offer a shift kit that I will install asap. As soon as I can find a bit of time. Thanks for the help.
You're still not comparing apples to apples here. Of course those cars have more torque. Last I looked this car wasn't made to produce torque. Have you driven a civic lately? They are the same just like any car similar to the sentra. Any car with that kind of HP will give you the kick back in your seat, that's the combination of RWHP and torque. This is a 4cyl and I am yet to ride in one that has the "kick back in your seat" feeling. These are gas savers not race cars, so don't compare them, it just doesn't make sense. If you want torque, you bought the wrong car. A shift kit will only allow you to rev higher between gears and at 5800-6000rpm's, you're crazy to go higher. :fluffy::givebeer:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No doubt I'm not even trying to compare here! All I am saying is the trany seems flat and I know for a fact that it is fine. I am begining to think that I might have a fuel pressure problem though and this can contribute to the weak midrange? As far as what I bought the car for it's real simple MPG's. I only wish that it had a bit more snap........ I have some plans to try and get the thing to move a bit better and one of them is to install a valve body reprogram kit. I have yet to find anyone that has used one but no matter I will go ahaed with the plan anyway and with any luck it will make for a more positive shift. I also know that there are far and few Four bangers that make any tourque I'm only saying that the differance is real tough getting used to. I honestly like the little car and may in fact slap a turbo on in the future. But for now I will be happy to get thirty or better and will just have to learn to live with what an economy car has to offer for power..........

·
Registered
505 Posts
No doubt I'm not even trying to compare here! All I am saying is the trany seems flat and I know for a fact that it is fine. I am begining to think that I might have a fuel pressure problem though and this can contribute to the weak midrange? As far as what I bought the car for it's real simple MPG's. I only wish that it had a bit more snap........ I have some plans to try and get the thing to move a bit better and one of them is to install a valve body reprogram kit. I have yet to find anyone that has used one but no matter I will go ahaed with the plan anyway and with any luck it will make for a more positive shift. I also know that there are far and few Four bangers that make any tourque I'm only saying that the differance is real tough getting used to. I honestly like the little car and may in fact slap a turbo on in the future. But for now I will be happy to get thirty or better and will just have to learn to live with what an economy car has to offer for power..........
Putting a turbo on this car would cause issues. It doesn't have the pistons to handle it. Some have done it yeah, but the life of the motor just decreases. If you detect a fuel issue, first thing is to check fuel pressure and see where it sits. There is a valve on the fuel line you can connect to. Yes, not enough fuel pressure would cause these symptoms. Again, adding after market parts won't fix your issue. Like I said, mine is stock and runs like a dream.

·
Registered
505 Posts
mine automatically shifts at like 6200 but when im in the gears i can get it too like 6500 rpm before hitting the rev limiter....but it shifts very hard when you go that high so i wouldnt recamend that lol (i also have the ga16 tho...)
Me too, the GA16 just had the main seal issue (easy fix) no other things I had other than a stupid belt issue that I finally fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought I was the only one who did that...Yeah, I have a 96 200sx. I feel the pain man.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
Just sell it, buy another car thats 5 speed or convert yours to 5 speed.

Putting a turbo on this car would cause issues. It doesn't have the pistons to handle it.
Its not that the motor cant handle it, its the transmission you have to worry about. The auto transmissions cant handle a load such as forced induction. A manual trans can take it just fine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Brady are you doing the swap or are you having somone else do it? I am entertaining swapping to a manual also. Let's face it this four banger was made for one thing and that is fuel economy! That being said I do believe that if you are in the right gear at the right time this engine would be great! It would also be happier in it's power band for sure! I have to tell you guy's I am not a four cylinder guy so all of this is new to me so please bare with me a bit. I have to get some work done on my clutch knee so an auto trans is the way that I have to go for now but as soon as the leg is up to snuff i will be thinking about and more than likly swapping a five speed box into the little Sentra. I bought the car for economy and MPG's but fella's I can't stand the idea of not trying to make more power from any Mill!! I will get there if and when funds allow and the clutch knee gets better! In the mean time whoever has the auto to stick recipe for a 96 Sentra if you don't mind I would love it! Peace Bro's..

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
i already did a 5 speed swap on my SE-R, its not hard just time consuming. Drilling the holes in the firewall for the clutch pedal is the hard part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts