Nissan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just the other day on the way to work I noticed that I was beginning to loose 1st gear. It felt kinda grittty. Shortly there after I noticed that 2nd was going out too. It did it all the way up to 4th gear. What is even stranger, is the fact that when the engine is cold it goes into all gears with NO problem.

Only after about 30 minutes of stop and go movement, the transmission starts to act up. Another odd fact is that it always does it about the same time. Like the gear oil is heating up too much. Oddly the gear oil was changed about a month ago( When clutch was put in).Here is the order in which I loose gears:
#1> Reverse is always the first to go out
#2> 1st is second to go out
#3> 2nd is third to go out
#4> 3rd and so on

Tried searching but it turned up no useful result. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it to a guy who works at AMACO, as for what weight, I'm not sure. I just changed it with Api GL4 80-90W, strangly for fluid to be a month and a half old it is incredibly dark. Another fact is that the level was about 1 1/2 -2 Quarts low. Do you think this would be the culprit??? From what I could tell there is no trans leak. I think that he did't add enough fluid. Since he did it at his place.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Well if it was low, then yes that would cause it.
When did you change it, just like in the last couple of days? If you did, wait it out, you should be seeing some improvments as soon as you replace the fluid, unless the gears are trashed.

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I try to get into gear. It feels like it doesn't want to go in, but it does. I just changed it and drove a few miles around the neigborhood. Just when I pull in the driveway, I stopped and checked the gears and I got locked out of every gear. I think the gears might be toast. But why would the problem only show up when the engine is warm and not cold. If I let it cool down there will be no problem untill the engine warms back up. What do you suggest????

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nostrodomas said:
What condition is your clutch in? Is it still stock? And how many miles on it. Also, have you ever adjusted the clutch cable?
A brand new ACT Stage1. I got at least 250 miles on it. The problems didn't start to show up until 2 weeks ago. I have tried to adjust the cable with no result. I haven't drove it that much since the problems showed up.

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't think its the linkage do you? I mean it fades in when its hot and is problem free when the engine is cold? Exact opposite from the other similar theads.

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<<< PROBLEM FIXED>>>
Belive it or not it was the clutch cable. After the clutch was installed, I didn't have a lot of clutch pedal pressure. I also purchased a new clutch cable while I was at it. I thought I made adjustments to the thumb adjustment knob when I got my car back to the house. I would only turn it about 3 times. Not enough to notice that I wasnt only turning the knob, but the cable itself.

Just a little while ago I noticed that the cable popped and stretched
out a small bit (about 1/4"). I took a closer inspection and noticed that the cable was wound up. I untwisted the cable and adjused it almost to the end of the adjustment---The difference in pedal pressure and shifability was dramatic. Problem solved....

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanx, that was a really close call. I was just about to drop the trans and have it rebuilt. Glad I looked at it a little closer today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts