Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done quite a bit of searching and I hear mixed opinions so I'd like to hash this out once and for all...

I have a 1994 4x4 with a 2.4L 4cyl...

1. GL4 vs GL5. I've read NOT to put in GL5 because of corrosion. Agree?
  2. The service manual says my 4x4 tranny will take 4Liters (4.2 quarts). Is that possible through the fill hole in the side?
  3. Some people say i have to take the shifter off to fill it properly. Others say filling it up with that much oil will ruin the seals. What do you think?
  4. A lot of people recommend Redline MT-90. Is this good? Is there something as good or better that's available locally?

Thanks!

·
3,553 Posts
GL4 (Redline MT-90) is what you should use, and the 4-cylinder manual transmissions did not have a problem with the fill level. It was the V6 transmissions that had that problem. Just fill it to the bottom of the fill hole and plug it off and drive.

·
Registered
178 Posts
On my truck, to take off the shifter to try to fill it with the gear oil would be too much of a hassle.

I needed a vampire pump to pump mine into the fill hole in my transmission. the space was too tight under there to get the bottle in there. You'll probably have to do the same.

Have fun and good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts