Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of transmission fluid should I use in my 98 200sx Se-R (Standard)?

I haven't done a transmission fluid change before (I've only had the car for a year) so I'm not exactly sure what to buy.

Thanks!

Aaron

·
Registered
413 Posts
Any GL-4 gear oil is fine. I used Valvoline Hypo GL-4 Gear Oil 80W90 when I replaced my clutch. So far, only thing I notice is that when it was cold out, the gears are somewhat stiffer at start up then smooths out as it warms up.

If you have the money go with MT-90 from what I have seen, read, and heard.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aaron said:
What kind of transmission fluid should I use in my 98 200sx Se-R (Standard)?

I haven't done a transmission fluid change before (I've only had the car for a year) so I'm not exactly sure what to buy.

Thanks!

Aaron
While everyone else recommends Redline, I use NEO RHD and it works great for me. I've driven cars with Redline and feel that my car with NEO is slightly better (I'm not biased ;) It's also seemed to have cured a bad problem I've been having with 4th gear grinding worse and worse over the past few months. That grind is almost gone now <fingers crossed>

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm using royal purple 75w-90 gear oil, gl-4. It was certainly easier than finding a similar weight dyno oil that was only gl-4.

By the way, don't put any thing in that has GL-5 written on the label, which 95% of the gear oil at autoparts stores is.

Aaron

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
Im running the Royal Purple as well as other high HP cars that I know...It is rated for GL-4 and GL-5, but does not contain the same corrosive additives that otehr GL-5 specific gear oil contain.

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
I ran Redline 75-90 and loved it, until I got a tranny crack and it all leaked out. Will definitely get it again real soon.

·
HYDYST?
113 Posts
NEO RHD, MT90, Royal Purple, Or Motul 300 are all good.

Some have considered the MT90 too thin for performance use. Don't know how you'll drive.

High HP cars have used Redline Shockproof but it might be too much for a normal bolton.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use Redline Shockproof 75w-90 super lightweight and I like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts