Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I think I lost my mod-nes
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've got a 97 Sentra with a 5 speed. It's got just over 76,000 miles on it, and it's developed a bit of a problem. Hopefully, it's just an annoyance, rather than an actual problem...
If I'm stopped at a traffic light, or in a drive thru, etc. I"ll generally put the car into neutral while I"m sitting to keep from putting extra wear on the clutch and it's parts.<br>
Lately, though, when I put the car back into first, it grinds. It doesn't pop it out, it just grinds while it's going in. This is the only time it does that. If I push the clutch in, and wait a couple of seconds before putting it into first, it doesn't grind. Those of you who have ever been in line at McDonalds while a fat guy behind you is waiting for his BigMacs know that waiting a few extra seconds before pulling ahead is not a good choice. Besides, I know that the car didn't used to do that, so I"m wondering if maybe it's a sign of impending tranny death or something. <br>
Oh, I don't think it's a timing thing, because I can drive aggressively sometime, and slam it into any gear pretty quickly, and it doesn't do the grind, and I know I"ve got the clutch all the way in, so I dont think that's got anything to do with it.
Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
170 Posts
Syncro in 1st might be going bad. That would be my first guess. Since you say it doesn't grind if you put in the clutch and wait a couple of seconds before putting it in gear, then I'd say keep doing that. I think it's the syncro though.

P.S.- You don't have to use html formatting tags (i.e. "<br>") in your text.

·
Registered
170 Posts
200sxpower said:
mine does that too. are synchro's an expensive fix?
Make a claim against your warranty. They should be covered under the powertrain warranty.

·
Platinum
462 Posts
Gear oil

Changing the tranny fluid could help a little bit. I use the Redline MT90 and my gear box don't grind like how it used to do anymore. I got real good result from Royal Purple Synthetic gear oil too.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
i got a quote of 750 but that was a complete trany rebuild fixing second and third syncro.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm sorry about resurrecting an old topic, but I didn't want to start a new one on something that has been discussed before.

I am having similar problems with my first gear. SOMETIMES when I am traveling at less than 5 mph, I have trouble downshifting into 1st gear. This situation usually occurs after I slow down for cars turning into driveways or when letting pedestrians go by; I want to accelerate out from 1st gear since 2nd drops the revs below 2k. I usually have to make several attempts to get into 1st gear(all while the car continues to slow down) before it will get into gear and have even tried double clutching. Most of the time, I just give up and accelerate slowly in 2nd. :(

This problem is not as apparent, and sometimes disappears, when I an accelerating from a complete stop. This leads me to believe that the problem may be a result of worn engine mounts(as I have read on some other posts) since the movement of the engine while the car is moving would explain this problem's inconsistency. Is this an accurate diagnosis of the problem?

Additionally, I sometimes have a little trouble getting into 5th gear while on the freeway. There are no signs of the notorious 5th gear popout problem however.

This is a '97 SR20DE with 92k miles. This is also my first manual transmission and I've had it for less than 6 months so I'm not quite sure how to take care of it and have only a rudimentary understanding of transmission syncros. Is it time for a rebuild or do I just need new mounts? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts