Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any know how to make the se-r go faster? I have a 91' sentra se-r and it tops out at 125 mph, how do I change that thing, like a limiter or govenor to make the top speed go up? is it impossible or what? and what's the best performance enhancer that you can put in an old se-r?

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
JWT ecu will take that pesky speed limiter away. Mine is set for 7300 rpm redline, and I go all the way to 156mph on my tiny lil tires. The best performance enhancer would be a turbo.

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
Why do you need to go faster than 125 mph? Are you track racing or are you simply wanting to kill yourself? If it is the later, can I have what's left of you car?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what the hell is a JWT ecu? OPOIUM3
A turbo is what i thought...

Zeno... 125 is a fast ass speed, i have never gone that fats, but I would like to know if i could, i'm buying some performance tires soon and maybe some struts, then i'll go max speed. I already promised if I crashed i'd give the parts to my dog.

There is also another problem, does anyone elses gears slip?:D

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
what the hell is a JWT ecu? OPOIUM3
JWT is Jim Wolf Technology. They make numerous parts for the 200SX. The ECU stands for Engine Control Unit. It is basically a computer inside your engine that monitors your sensors, timing, etc. It is also known as the 'governor' because it oftens times makes decisions for you when you decide to tinker w/ stuff. For example, it has been programed to shut off the fuel if it senses your car going over a certain speed (~110 mph in this case). There really is no way around it other than to get an aftermarket ECU from JWT.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
zeno said:
Why do you need to go faster than 125 mph? Are you track racing or are you simply wanting to kill yourself? If it is the later, can I have what's left of you car?
Well the reason I do it is pure excitement. Fortunately, In my car, you give me less than 2 miles of open road, and I'll peg the revv limiter in 5th gear. In AZ, there are tons of places to do this. The 101 freeway is full of them. I can get up to 130mph without anyone really noticing it. It feels fast to them, but since I don't have a speedometer, they don't exaclty know how fast it is until after I tell them. Its fun and exciting for both parties. Yes, I know the risks involved, and I consider myself a skilled driver. However at those speeds, your basically a dart in the wind, and skill really plays no part in what you can do if you start spinning. But when you can get up there so quickly, it hardly seems like a risk. It's all flatland, and wide open spaces. I've done a couple of races in excess of 120mph, and those were some of the more memorable ones. Some say its stupidity, some say its fun. Potato, "Po-tot-oh".

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
Well the reason I do it is pure excitement. Fortunately, In my car, you give me less than 2 miles of open road, and I'll peg the revv limiter in 5th gear. In AZ, there are tons of places to do this. The 101 freeway is full of them. I can get up to 130mph without anyone really noticing it. It feels fast to them, but since I don't have a speedometer, they don't exaclty know how fast it is until after I tell them. Its fun and exciting for both parties. Yes, I know the risks involved, and I consider myself a skilled driver. However at those speeds, your basically a dart in the wind, and skill really plays no part in what you can do if you start spinning. But when you can get up there so quickly, it hardly seems like a risk. It's all flatland, and wide open spaces. I've done a couple of races in excess of 120mph, and those were some of the more memorable ones. Some say its stupidity, some say its fun. Potato, "Po-tot-oh".
Oh don't get me wrong....I enjoy going hella fast just as must as the next guy. It just bothers me when inexperienced people take an economy car and try to break the sound barrier. It usually ends up w/ 'hey dude, check this out.....yeah man, punch it!....' and they usually end up in a ditch. All I'm saying is that our cars were not designed to go that fast and weird laws of physics kick in when you break 100mph. If you want to max. out your car, make sure you know what you are doing and your car is up to the challenge.

·
Registered
354 Posts
first i want to know what '91 se-r only goes 125 stock. my '92 "hit the wall" at 142 (acording to the speedo and im sure not very accurate) stock and on stock wheels and i did that a few days after i bought the thing. it was VERY twitchy though and took a quite a while to get there. my JWT ecu changed my rev limiter from 7500 to 7900. with the ecu, header, exhaust, intake and cams i was able to get to 147 and still pulling while racing a gen 2 rx-7 turbo. he beat me by about 6 car lengths over about 3 miles but i think i suprised him. and i agree going that fast on the street is IMO not as fun as getting to 100 as fast as you can, i prefer acceleration vs top speed myself. just tooooo many variables on the street to go that fast comfortably.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
zeno said:
Oh don't get me wrong....I enjoy going hella fast just as must as the next guy. It just bothers me when inexperienced people take an economy car and try to break the sound barrier. It usually ends up w/ 'hey dude, check this out.....yeah man, punch it!....' and they usually end up in a ditch. All I'm saying is that our cars were not designed to go that fast and weird laws of physics kick in when you break 100mph. If you want to max. out your car, make sure you know what you are doing and your car is up to the challenge.
Oh, that's cool. I didnt really know what to make of your post. I felt I had to defend myself in some way. I totally agree though. After you break 100mph, everything changes, especially the scenery. If your not up to it, and aren't ready for anything that's gonna pop up on the road ahead, then its better to not try. For me, breaking 100mph is easily done for me. Meaning, that going over 100 can seem just as fast as 65mph. I start to get the adrenaline pumping again at around 120mph. Sure it's only 20mph, but its like AZ desert heat, once you get past 110F you can feel ever degree. After 120mph, my anticipation, excitement, and any and all sensories are opened ready to react. I usually ease off the pedal at around 130mph though. Once I get better speed rated tires, and some other suspension components, I won't have a problem hitting the revv limiter again.

Z

·
0 Posts
yeah, just so you guys know, the 91-94 SE-R doesn't have a speed limiter. And it's not a supercar, why do you guys want like 150 MPH top speed out of it? If you really want to make it faster, put a turbo kit on it.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
I hope you weren't referring to me?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks to you guys for the help, except Zak91SE-R... you can rot in hell where they stick pineapples up your ass all day. About that whole killing yourself by going over 150...
I don't think i'm planning my death or anything by wanting to go over 120, if I knew that my car couldn't handle it, I wouldn't do it. I still drag with my friends and take those corners but who hasn't wanted to go twice the speed limit? Sure it sounds stupid on paper, but when your doin it you're not thinking about anything but going fast. I figured if I treat my car like shit, it gonna treat me like shit. I take care of my car, all my money goes towards takin care of it. It's in great condition ( besides the upholestry) for being over 10 years old.

by the way, how much to drop a 2002 se-r vtec in my '91???:cool:

W

·
0 Posts
neotype2001 said:
thanks to you guys for the help, except Zak91SE-R... you can rot in hell where they stick pineapples up your ass all day. About that whole killing yourself by going over 150...
I don't think i'm planning my death or anything by wanting to go over 120, if I knew that my car couldn't handle it, I wouldn't do it. I still drag with my friends and take those corners but who hasn't wanted to go twice the speed limit? Sure it sounds stupid on paper, but when your doin it you're not thinking about anything but going fast. I figured if I treat my car like shit, it gonna treat me like shit. I take care of my car, all my money goes towards takin care of it. It's in great condition ( besides the upholestry) for being over 10 years old.

I agree with 97pocketrocket-I'd rather have a quick car...0-60 in under 4 sec. and a top speed of around 100 or so....but I like to drag ..... and yes 150 is just mad insane.....if youre ever doin 150 or 160 in the 1/4 mile in a streetable SENTRA I gotta see that shit.....

NISSAN DOESNT USE VTEC---VTEC=HONDA-----CVTC, VVL, etc = NISSAN and you dont want a 2002 SE-R engine.....

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
SE-R's don't have a speed limiter, they have a rev limiter and they are drag limited. Never heard of anyone's gears slipping, do you have an automatic? Maybe you need tranny fluid. Otherwise, it's your clutch that's slipping. As far as dropping a QR25 in your '91, that wouldn't be your most cost effective engine swap, plus I'd hunt you down and kill you for doing that. :D I think you've got a lot to learn before you start swapping engines though. I'd start out with the basics, up your timing, CAI, header, exhaust, then maybe some S3's, UR pullies, then a JWT ECU. You'd be happy with that I'd think. If your engine is crap, then save your money on all that stuff and buy a JDM SR20DE for around $300-$400 and swap that in, then do all those things I mentioned. You'll be fast and be able to beat most everything else out there. As for your suspension, if you're going to buy new struts, get the KYB AGX's and some springs to go with them. Might as well do the ES bushings while you're there. Replace your sway bars with ST's. Get front and read STB's. Might want to consider an AD22 front brake upgrade so you don't kill someone, or yourself, some SS lines and RBF fluid. These are all things that come off the top of my head because they're what I'm considering doing as well. Go spend some time reading everything you can at www.se-r.net www.sentra.net www.nissanperformancemag.com Then use the search here and at www.sr20deforum.com to look for old topics on stuff you have questions about. Then you'llbe able to ask intelligent questions, avoid being flamed to death, and you'll make smart decisions. It's taken me almost 8 months to really understand what's involved with these cars and to even begin making knowledgable decisions regarding them.

·
100NX2000
346 Posts
neotype2001 said:

If I get kicked off the forum for trolling then so be it.

How fucking dare you flame Zak91. Where in his post did he say anything about killing youirself anyway?
You know what..just sell your SE-R you dumb fuck. You have no idea who Zak is and it obviously shows. He has done more for the Se-R comminuty and has more behind the wheel experience in these cars that you have in your newbie typing fingers. If you don't know you better type in Zak Nielson in the search engines.

I hate guys who come on with idoitic questions and flame othes who obviously know the capalities of the machines they own and drive. Just go away and buy a Honda. I am done here you idiot.

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
Damn....this thread got rather hostile. I think everyone should chill out and cut the guy some slack. He's new to the scene and I'm sure all of you have asked a stupid question now and then (I know I have). We are all here because we love tuning our cars. Before labeling someone and telling them to sell their se-r, maybe you should look at your own behavior. If anything, I think the person who is posting pictures of the 'short bus' possesses much more of the 'Honda' attitude.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.