Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DNE Boy
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I can finally make it to a DNE meet, but I'd like to get some maintenance done this weekend. I dunno if you homies are available.
1.) Transmission drain (overnight)
2.) Brake bleeding

I know they are somewhat easy to do, but I'd like to have some help looking over my shoulder.

Probably have it at my house since my car has to stay overnight for the transmission drain.

I'm thinking friday night sometime after dinner, and then bleed the brakes sat morning. Anybody else is welcome to do some work. I have some cheapo tools, but no air tools. Lemme know if you can helps me, ple ple! :fluffy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Imobejoas said:
I know they are somewhat easy to do, but I'd like to have some help looking over my shoulder.
I'll let you borrow my factory service manual if you'd like to put that on your shoulder.

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
I've only seen an auto-tranny drain at a mechanic shop I went to once. I wouldn't call myself qualified. :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
You really need to do a flush. You disconnect the tranny return line on the radiator, and run the engine for a minute until the fluid is pretty clean that you've been adding while running the motor. You'll only get say 50-60% of the fluid out by draining and refilling.

·
DNE Boy
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seximagtr said:
You really need to do a flush. You disconnect the tranny return line on the radiator, and run the engine for a minute until the fluid is pretty clean that you've been adding while running the motor. You'll only get say 50-60% of the fluid out by draining and refilling.

Could you come over and show me how?

·
Bigger IS Better
58 Posts
just use the drain plug, it's so simpo. i wouldn't wait overnight because then you'll probably forget and drive without any tranny fluid. sure you won't be changing all the fluid but it's easy enough you can just do it again in 6 months or so.

what tranny fluid are you going to use? i've got 4 bottles of mobil1 synth and a bunch of bottles of regular dexron iii castrol just sitting around.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dude, of the total capacity of the auto tranny and the torque convertor - less than 5 qts comes out. That's not even a drain. Do it the right way by flushing it out like I suggested. Do you empty out 2 qts out of the 4.5 on the motor?... the tranny is just as important and more expensive too.

oh and thomas - i learned the whole " can you come help me" thing too... good ole jonathan.... :rolleyes:

Reuben - I'm pretty certain that the tranny flush is in a sticky in the 4th gen forum...

·
DNE Boy
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seximagtr said:
Dude, of the total capacity of the auto tranny and the torque convertor - less than 5 qts comes out. That's not even a drain. Do it the right way by flushing it out like I suggested. Do you empty out 2 qts out of the 4.5 on the motor?... the tranny is just as important and more expensive too.

oh and thomas - i learned the whole " can you come help me" thing too... good ole jonathan.... :rolleyes:

Reuben - I'm pretty certain that the tranny flush is in a sticky in the 4th gen forum...

I am finally a donating member. :thumbup:
I didn't find anythin in the stickies for flushing. I did find a thread on it and this guys car domain right up. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/335521/3 I was wondering if I need to replace gasket, filters, plugs, bolts, and what to put in. I think the Matic-D is what folks are recommending since it's OEM.

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
Reuben...if you want a # to a fairly good shop that won't charge an arm + leg then let me know.

·
DNE Boy
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MrEous said:
Reuben...if you want a # to a fairly good shop that won't charge an arm + leg then let me know.
I would like to do this myself, for the edumacation purposes and out of geeky curiosity. It doesn't look too hard, but would like somebody to let me know if I'm doing everything right, cause I am n00bs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Imobejoas said:
I would like to do this myself, for the edumacation purposes and out of geeky curiosity. It doesn't look too hard, but would like somebody to let me know if I'm doing everything right, cause I am n00bs.

There's no parts that need to be replaced at all. Just follow the flushing procedure - you don't need to drop your pan.

·
All Show...trust me!
164 Posts
Imobejoas said:
what kind of fluid to use? Redline? if so where to get? Nissan OEM?
I used Amisoil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts