Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the only things that makes me envy my friend's 92 and 94 Civic and Prelude is Honda's lack of a MAF sensor (at least those years). It seems so stupid to me why Nissan (or any other company for that matter) would put such a tiny MAF sensor on the intake. Why would they do that? It seems pointless to put any aftermarket intake on the car if it's just going to bottleneck so much at the MAF sensor. Im very curious to learn more about it. Based on how the GA16DE is designed, would it help or hurt performance to get a bigger one? If it would help, which it seems like it only could, what options are there? Swap from a different engine..aftermarket..or would it not even work? I'm very curious.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
K2Fugative169 said:
One of the only things that makes me envy my friend's 92 and 94 Civic and Prelude is Honda's lack of a MAF sensor (at least those years). It seems so stupid to me why Nissan (or any other company for that matter) would put such a tiny MAF sensor on the intake. Why would they do that? It seems pointless to put any aftermarket intake on the car if it's just going to bottleneck so much at the MAF sensor. Im very curious to learn more about it. Based on how the GA16DE is designed, would it help or hurt performance to get a bigger one? If it would help, which it seems like it only could, what options are there? Swap from a different engine..aftermarket..or would it not even work? I'm very curious.
Actually are wrong about this. The MAF does not become a restriction on the GA16 until you are making about 160 HP to the wheels. You won't really gain anything by upgrading utnil you get to that point, which is most likely going to be accomplished through turbocharging. If you take a look at NPM Project 1.6 turbo you will see where they reached the limit of the GA16 MAF and upgraded to the 240SX MAF. It talkes about what is involved in that conversion as well.

The only issue is that you will gain nothign by switching the MAF unless you are making that kind of power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thanks. I didn't know whether or not it actually restricted the air flow or not, but just that it seemed like it would. The idea of air flowing freely through a 3 inch pipe, going through a 1.5 inch hole, and opening back up to go into the engine just made me think that it was very restrictive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts