Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People who use Lucas Oil might want to check out this link. . .

What about Additives?

I used to use Lucas until recently and always heard it was great stuff. People swore by it and I thought that since it was 100% petroleum that there was good benefits from its use.

Last time I had used it, I changed my oil and added three quarts and substituted the fourth quart with a bottle of lucas as I had done previous times. I drove to a friends house who had replaced my clutch for me and noticed very audible valve-train noise as I sat in his driveway with the truck idling. It sounded sorta like inconsistent tapping. I asked the guy what he thought the noise was and he said it sounded like a collapsed lifter or it could be a dirty lifter.

I told him that I had just changed the oil earlier that day and put Lucas in with it and he just shook his head and said "man I wouldnt use that stuff". I asked him why, and he said that he had a 6 cylinder engine that ran fine till he put a bottle of lucas in it and said he'd never use lucas again. I told him he was crazy and asked him how something that was 100% petroleum could do harm to an engine. He said he didnt know but was certain Lucas was the reason his engine got screwed up and he'd never use it or recommend it. He said he wouldnt be suprised if the the Lucas was responsible for the valve-train noise I was having.

I had never heard that kind of noise coming from my engine before so I decided to look into it when I got home and thats when I found the info about it posted on the link above.

Since learning about Lucas, I went home and changed the oil (again). This time not adding the Lucas additive, Hoping the noise might clear up.
At first it didnt seem to make a difference in the noisy lifter, but after a day or two I can no longer hear it. IT'S GONE!!!
I do however still hear the rattle/valve-noise on initial start-up but it goes away after 1-2 secs. Which I'm sure is normal.

I'm sure that on a newer vehicle, You wouldnt be able to tell regarding valve-train noise, But on an older vehicle with parts that have wear on them. Its easy to see the difference as I did. Lesson learned for me.

Sorry about the long story but thought it might help someone who may be interested. I added Lucas because I thought it was helping prolong the life of my engine. Turns out it was quite the opposite and I regret that I wasted money on it. (its like 12 bucks a bottle!!!).

Do what you want with the info here.
I just thought I'd put it out there for you guys.

Take care,

Mike :idhitit:

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok so your saying lucas is bad so if I add say Zmax to royal purple is that a bad idea since I guess royal purple should be good enough on its own?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm no scientist and I'm not going to go as far as to say that Lucas Oil is bad for your motor. I dont know that for a fact so I wont say that. What I posted above is my own opinion based on the theory's and experience of myself and other people. There are a lot of people that swear by Lucas Oil and always will. There are also other people that say that ANY additive is bad for your motor and the best thing to do is keep up with your oil changes (using good oil) and maintaining proper maitenance.
My friend who swears that Lucas Oil ruined his motor swears by Valvoline Oil. That is his opinion though, and it has to be taken into account that his engine failure could have been caused by a number of things other than the use of Lucas Oil, and Its possible that He is blaming Lucas Oil because that was the only change in maintenance that was made right before the engine failure. I really dont know-- I just posted the information that I found so that people could make their own decision of whether or not they wanted to start using it or continue to use it.

Also, I dont know anything about Zmax or Royal purple... I've never used either of them, and I havent Researched either of them. However, I have heard that Royal Purple is really good stuff. . . I believe I was even going to try it once. . . Until I seen the pricetag.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok thanks and I agree, if i bought a brand new nissan and put premium oil in it every 3k thats probably all I'd ever put in it. Its just that I have an old 91 SR20DET with 87k on it i think and its been in my 93 SE-R for about 10 years and I guess it was in a bluebird before that and obviously due to the low miles its been sitting alot so I just heard that Zmax soaks deep in the metal deeper than oil so I was curious about it and just wanted to see if anyone had put it in there nissan so I could see if its worth 20 bucks and would make a difference but maybe I'll have to pioneer that one. and ya I've heard that KA24DE's are strong motors and you can put normal oil in them and they won't break but thats someones opinion like you said, just like I think SR20's are more sensitive.

·