Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
i thought about going synthetic, but everyone tells me for the cost it really doesn't help any. one person even admits to going back to regular because its too damn expensive, and they dont' notice any difference.

·
Doodeee doodee doodee doo
1,495 Posts
actually, SOTP and soundwise, you really WON'T notice much, but that little extra love you put into the car will keep it running much longer than if you were using fossil oil. Cmon, you wouldn't take your wife-to-be out to an anniversary dinner at McDonald's, would you? Give your engine some love... :D

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
i love mine so much i use '01 M3 oil just for the heck of it, it doesn't chemically break down even after 6500 rpm's, not like mineral oil......and it doesn't get a dark as soon based on the way i drive.....

·
340 Posts
well now you got me courious.

what do you mean chemically break down at 6500??? i have never heard such a thing in natural oil. this is interesting since 4bangers often go higher then this anyway, so why wouldn't factory spec oil take account for this??

i was thinking of "upgrading" to the high mileage type oil, still not sure if i want to go though flushing the oil just to swap to more expensive synthetic

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
synthetics tend to hold together at higher heat, which is higher rpm's, carbon-based oil on the other hand break down at higher heat due to the fact that they are carbon-based, fossil, dino-gunk or whatever you call it, manufacturers swayed from using this for the reason(s) of cost, and that our cars are econoboxes, not autobahn ripping machines, and like i said, you can tell if the oil is getting weak when it turns very dark, losing its viscosity and in the stage of turning into mud, sludge or gunk, and i know nobody wants that in their engine........

·
340 Posts
well that might just explain why my oil is always dark at change time, maybe i will take a second look at synthetic. but i never seem them go on sale.... penszoil is on sale, i almost bought a case today, but i didn't have any cash on me.

does that require a different type of filter? just how much of a task is it to switch to syntec. i mean flushing and all.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
i use like a FRAM DOUBLE GUARD OIL FILTER. and the oil for my Valvoline Durablend is like 2.10 a quart at my local Kragen and filter cost me 10 bux.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I use Mobil 1 10w30, which is better than 5w30 if you have over 60k miles on your car. The 10w30 is formulated for higher milage cars according to Mobil 1's website, that's why i switched. I also use a purolator PureOne filter, this filter seems to work better than the oem filter for me. I have about 6k miles on my current oil change now and it still looks clean and full. My sentra just reached 97k miles last night and it's still running strong, thanks to Mobil 1 great oil and worth every penny imo. BTW i've been using Mobil 1 for the past 9 years...:)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dude just do it, but make sure Mobil 1 is gonna be the only oil you'll ever use from there on. My bro bought a 91 SE-R a couple years ago with 110k milles on it, the previous owner only ran dino oil. He's been using Mobil 1 10w30 on the SE-R with no problems such as leaks etc. so far, the car now has about 140k miles and he says it's running like a champ. Bottom line switch over to Mobil 1 any time your ready and use 10w30 less chance of getting any leaks... :)

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Just dump in 3.4 quarts of 10w30 syn and you're fine. I made the switch at a little over 100,000 miles and there hasn't been a single leak yet. There's no flushing involved and synthetic does just fine with a regular old oil filter.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The only thing you gotta worry about is not mixing synthetic and conventional (like adding conventional to your synthetic if your synthetic gets a little low, or visa versa. Unless you're a complete tool you shan't worry about doing that. Completely draining and switching to synthetic won't be a problem though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts