Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know if my pathfinder has a LSD (limited slip differential) in the rear?

and do they have any at all in thee front?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I recall that the SE model comes with LSD differential. A test is to lift the rear wheels off ground, put the transmission in "N" then rotate a rear tire forward by hand; if the other tire rotate the same direction then is a LSD, tire rotate the opposite direction indicate is NOT LSD. The front differential never came with LSD to the best of my knowledge in the 1st generation pathfinder.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i had the same question on my 97 pathy LE and i was told do in reverse then put it in drive nd punch it. if there 2 burnout marks then u have LSD.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i had the same question on my 97 pathy LE and i was told do in reverse then put it in drive nd punch it. if there 2 burnout marks then u have LSD.
This is not entirely correct, there is a chance in an equal traction situation both wheels will spin (a friend had it happen on his with open diff). Jack the rear up, put it in neutral, spin the tires. It takes less than a minute to do and is definitive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Really Easy way, put one tire in mud/snow/grass other on Driveway/road. if you tear up only Softer stuff you DO NOT. if you Burn the Grass and Driveway. you Do...

·
Registered
79 Posts
A Posi rear is a Positive Traction rear axle. It was used in some of the "muscle" cars of yesteryear. In the Movie, My Cousin Vinny, Vinny's girlfriend (Marissa Tomei) refers to the 2 tires marks on the road from a "burnout" as being made by the 1960s Ponyiac with a "posi rear". Both wheels turn simultaneously. Without a Posi Rear or LSD, one wheel will spin and the other will do nothing - it won't turn b/c the axle is spinning the other wheel. In cars with a Posi Rear [ the old type ], when making turns too fast, you will spin out. But in a straight away, you get better traction as both rear drive wheeels are turning , hence: Posi Rear.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i do not know. i put mine (98 se) in 4 wheel drive when the snow was here i got 4 spinning tires my friend said.then i watched as he drove it i saw 4 wheels spinning.:)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
i do not know. i put mine (98 se) in 4 wheel drive when the snow was here i got 4 spinning tires my friend said.then i watched as he drove it i saw 4 wheels spinning.:)
because there was no or hardly any resistance to traction

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interesting.... I did that with a 1983 Subbie Outback wagon to see if there was Really 4WD as Subaru so promoted. I put the passenger side wheels on ice near curb, stepped on it and the passenger side wheels - front and rear spun on the ice and No Traction went to the Driver side wheels. Hence : No 4 Wheel Drive. It did NOT have a limited slip Differential (LSD), but like all Subbies even today, are front wheel drive. I think their new system "power to the wheels that grip" is different and does transfer traction to both wheels on the same axle Check out their WEB site.....it explains it better. In fact, I'm going to try that "TEST" out today with my 01 Pathy 4WD, to see if the Nissan system moves traction to one side or the other. The ACURA 4 WD system definetly Does.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Interesting.... I did that with a 1983 Subbie Outback wagon to see if there was Really 4WD as Subaru so promoted. I put the passenger side wheels on ice near curb, stepped on it and the passenger side wheels - front and rear spun on the ice and No Traction went to the Driver side wheels. Hence : No 4 Wheel Drive. It did NOT have a limited slip Differential (LSD), but like all Subbies even today, are front wheel drive. I think their new system "power to the wheels that grip" is different and does transfer traction to both wheels on the same axle Check out their WEB site.....it explains it better. In fact, I'm going to try that "TEST" out today with my 01 Pathy 4WD, to see if the Nissan system moves traction to one side or the other. The ACURA 4 WD system definetly Does.
I believe Nissan's Allmode will somehow make the other wheels spin to provide traction, however my 01 with the manual Tcase (5 speed doesnt get allmode) would simply spin the two tires in the ice since the LSD in the R50 is so weak unless I feathered the throttle. Personally I think Mercedes 4matic is on of the best full time 4wd (not awd) systems out there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How do I know if my pathfinder has a LSD (limited slip differential) in the rear?

and do they have any at all in thee front?
LSD equipped pathfinders usually have a round orange sticker on the differential which you should be to see from the back of the vehicle.

·
Registered
178 Posts
there should also be a tag on the differential saying LSD additive needed. as for the front, you can get them aftermarket.
Dont know about a tag on my differential but on my door it says its an hg43. I would assume being a 4x4 it would have an LSD right??? Also dvdswanson said something about LSD additive needed. Whats that mean cuz when I chaged my rear diff. fluid i didnt put any additive in... should I have?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Dont know about a tag on my differential but on my door it says its an hg43. I would assume being a 4x4 it would have an LSD right??? Also dvdswanson said something about LSD additive needed. Whats that mean cuz when I chaged my rear diff. fluid i didnt put any additive in... should I have?
just cause its 4wd doesnt mean there is a LSD in the rear end. LSD is an option on 99% of all vehicles sold new, not everyone got it though. HG43 tells you that you have the H233B rear axle with 4.363 ratio, never assume something, jack up the rear axle with both tires off the ground and with the tranny in neutral turn one of the tires, the other will turn the same direction if you have some sort of locking carrier, if it turns the opposite direction then you have an open carrier, otherwise know as a one wheel wonder.

if the fluid you added to the rear end specifically says that it works with LSDs then I would worry about it, if it doesnt, then you need to add the additive. this additive is to assist in conditioning the clutches in a LSD carrier, if its not there you will burn the clutches up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Right you are dave, Never assume anything-- Thats something I've heard alot from people who've been in the military. . . I'm a bit dissapointed... No LSD
Guess I might look into getting something to lock it.

Thanks alot

1 - 20 of 24 Posts