Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys:

My wife has a 2001 SE with the sports package. As we live in Canada, slippery conditions abound. Any tricks with living with an LSD in icy conditions?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have no experiance with an LSD, but i think is better than having an open differential.

The LSD it suppose to transfer power to the wheel with traction, so if one wheel is slipping, it shifts the power to the other wheel.
So I think it would be better.

BTW, where in Canada are you from?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming you have the sentra se 2.0... with that in mind, you will have NO problems with the vsld so long as you don't "rabbit start" and gun the engine from a standstill.
Other than that you may experience some understeer in wet or slippery conditions, try it out and get used to it in a parking lot somewhere.

-Jarret

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the plan -- a good, large parking lot here in Toronto.

·
Registered
20 Posts
audiophilia said:
Hi Guys:

My wife has a 2001 SE with the sports package. As we live in Canada, slippery conditions abound. Any tricks with living with an LSD in icy conditions?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
i had an LSD on my RX-7 (but it was rear drive of course). scariest mofo in the snow ever - when one wheel breaks traction, the other is not far behind in low - traction situations. IE-on a snow covered road, i could downshift, let out the clutch and the car would be sideways for as long as i wanted.

with a fwd be careful when starting out on snow/ice - both tires will spin and send the front end over. look into some winter tires

·
Registered
20 Posts
audiophilia said:
Getting some on this week.
what kind? i was going to get blizzaks, but i went with studded after all. noisy as hell on dry roads, but there is no substitute for studs - best of both worlds. traction in snow & ice.

·
Registered
641 Posts
unleaded said:
what kind? i was going to get blizzaks, but i went with studded after all. noisy as hell on dry roads, but there is no substitute for studs - best of both worlds. traction in snow & ice.
Hi unleaded, I saw Winterpeg on the news last night, winter already. I was wondering what you guys were using for tires. Last winter I used the origional all season that came with it. Now they are more than half worn.

What about rims?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a great deal on Kumhos (310, tax in -- 195 60/R15s) from some guys at Rev Auto. They post on ClubSi...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Toronto.

Got the rims from Nissan. My wife works for head office...

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
If you're in Ontario, unfortunately you can't run studs. What kind of Kumhos did you get?

I had Blizzak WS-50s last winter and they're the cat's ass, but they wear quicker than other tires.

Lucky bastard with your cheap OE rims, how much did they cost? I can't find a set of 13" for under $90 each:eek: .

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unsure. I know they are the latest model.

Rims are 15s:)

·
Registered
641 Posts
fcsmotorsports said:
If you're in Ontario, unfortunately you can't run studs. What kind of Kumhos did you get?

I had Blizzak WS-50s last winter and they're the cat's ass, but they wear quicker than other tires.

Lucky bastard with your cheap OE rims, how much did they cost? I can't find a set of 13" for under $90 each:eek: .
Canadian tire are selling rims on sale right now but mine are 17 "and they don`t have. Some guys are going to 16" for winter.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Smaller wheels with narrower tires is actually BETTER in the winter because they cut through the snow easier. Look at a rally car during a snow rally. They use skinny little tires. Anyways, I have a set of Pirelli Winter Ice Directionals and they are great. I suggest getting a second set of rims because your tires will get damaged from being mounted and un-mounted. That's why I'm probably buying two tires from fcsmotorsports. Thanks Jodie ;)

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
Ratwayne said:
Canadian tire are selling rims on sale right now but mine are 17 "and they don`t have. Some guys are going to 16" for winter.
I've heard about quite a few people doing that with SE-Rs. Makes sense if brake clearance isn't an issue.

In other winter driving news, I'm setting up a winter Solo II track in a field where my parents live, for my own personal practice. Can't wait.

Hope you enjoy those Blizzaks Ricebox.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ratwayne said:
Hi unleaded, I saw Winterpeg on the news last night, winter already. I was wondering what you guys were using for tires. Last winter I used the origional all season that came with it. Now they are more than half worn.

What about rims?
Cooper Weathermasters - 215/65 16. decent deal - $140 a tire taxes incl.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts