Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an LSD but its dirty as a mother. I just disassemble it, question is, can I have the gear carrier/casing and rear cover soaking in some like dish soap and water for a bit? I havn't taken out the drive pinion or that assembly just all the side gears, final drive etc. I only have my FSM for an open diff, can someone get me the full assembly of the VLSD? I need to know what parts need to be replaced. I see on the mine it says the oil/dust seals should be replaced but mine look fine, the rear cover gasket looks alright too, can I just use liquid gasket or should I replace the entire gasket? Can I use any parts from my open diff in case some parts are missing or something odd. BTW any advice or anything could be great too, I'm basically just puttin it together and getting it spaced properly here pretty quick. Waiting to put in my RS-R exhaust though, seems easier all at once!

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
little240boy said:
Just picked up an LSD but its dirty as a mother. I just disassemble it, question is, can I have the gear carrier/casing and rear cover soaking in some like dish soap and water for a bit? I havn't taken out the drive pinion or that assembly just all the side gears, final drive etc. I only have my FSM for an open diff, can someone get me the full assembly of the VLSD? I need to know what parts need to be replaced. I see on the mine it says the oil/dust seals should be replaced but mine look fine, the rear cover gasket looks alright too, can I just use liquid gasket or should I replace the entire gasket? Can I use any parts from my open diff in case some parts are missing or something odd. BTW any advice or anything could be great too, I'm basically just puttin it together and getting it spaced properly here pretty quick. Waiting to put in my RS-R exhaust though, seems easier all at once!
As far as cleaning the casing, I wouldn't soak it or anything. I would use a little bit of water and a little bit of Dawn dish soap. Dawn is a wonderful oil and grease solvent, and small ammounts of it can go really far. If it's really bad, break out the Gojo and a light wire brush. If you can use less water, it's probably better. Also, emulsifying agents such as the soap work better with a more even mixture, with a smaller ammount. I would mix up a bucket with 4-5 cups of really hot water, and about a tablespoon of Dawn. Then just mix it with an abrasive scrubber and give 'em hell.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts