Nissan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· CA18DET Wizard
2,177 Posts
I recently installed a set of image coilovers mated to the kYB Gr2's and let me just say that when I try to set the car down nice and low, it bottoms out (nasty). So I raised it back up and it rides okay. I also have a set of GC coilovers and AGX adjustables for my drag B12 and will be installing them next week while on vacation and will share the outcome. Traction has been increased with the coilovers and the phantom grip block in the differential and handling is pretty sharp even with the car being out of alignment. In this department (suspension), don't be afraid to spend the bucks because you'll hate yourself later for doing something very cheap. A set up that I have currently on my B12 is the KYB GR2's and a set of intrax springs (I think the drop is better than 2 in) and that car rode great when it was in use.

· CA18DET Wizard
2,177 Posts
If you're pretty good with hand tools and have the patience, should be a good experience for you. However, if you have no mechanical insight take it to a professional.

· CA18DET Wizard
2,177 Posts
Let us know what set up you get and how it performs as many B12er's are always willing to learn off us guinea pigs (lol), but then again us get pigs get to try more variety. If it works good and if it don't work, we're screwed.......

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok I just called and got a price for the springs and struts to be installed...

They want to charge me 350 $ just for labor alone... Does anyone else think this is a rip off?

I might just try to do it myself...

· CA18DET Wizard
2,177 Posts
It's easy man;) Just rent you a spring compressor and some simple tools and it's show time. The quickest way for the home mechanic to do this is, loosen the tire, jack up the car, remove the tire, loosen the the center bolt on the strut 17mm completely until it seperates the top hat from the strut, loosen the strut from the steering knuckle (17mm) and remove the 3 screws that hold the top hat to the strut tower (Chasis). Inspect bearing and mount (I would change them both) and using the spring compressor, compress the new spring and place it on the strut. Reinstall the top hat and it's components and fasten center bolt as much as possible. Reinstall strut in vehicle the securing the 3 bolts and the steering knuckle and once you're done with that, you must secure the center bolt. Repeat this procedure for remaining struts. Becareful!!! Do not try to remove the strut from the vehicle and try and remove the spring from the strut without a compressor or you will be sorry. I've done it like this before, but I didn't know any better back then. The way I told you to do is the fastest and safest way for the home do-it-yourselfer who don't have that much experience.

· Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,348 Posts
And please .... dont put your face in the way of the spring... so if the compressor collapse... you wont get spring headed !! ;) those spring have lots lots lots... of pressure when you compress them... (imgaine a 2000lbs car boucing to get it compress...) getting it in the face SHOULD hurt bad !! ;) just take your time ... be careful...

Happy suspensioning !!

hahahaha new words here... "suspensionning".. (???)

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
lol.. well i mgettin new springs too...

so i might as well install the spring on the new struts right away and can leave them to sit like that until they are ready to install, correct?

How long should I suspect this to take me?

Thanks for all the help...

· CA18DET Wizard
2,177 Posts
If you guys do it the way I told and use good judgement, all 4 struts should be about 2 hours, unless you get spring-headed:D Please don't let that spring hit you, it hurts......
so i might as well install the spring on the new struts right away and can leave them to sit like that until they are ready to install, correct?
You can do this as long as you put all components back together.

· Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,069 Posts
i dont think so

sorry dude. the new struts wont come with all the hardware you ll need to replace everything so you ll definetly need to take ur old ones off unless ur going to buy all new components such as ur tophat , dust cover and other misc. parts but its not hard at all. i myself am not all that mechanically enclined but myself and a friend did mine in about 2 hours

· Registered
3 Posts
Ive been looking into a 2'' basic drop just for the experence factor of learning my car top to bottom. I have every tool needed for the job. I was wondering if anyone has cut the b12 springs and if they have how many coils were removed. My plan is to get a set from Pull-A-Part and keep the originals (just in case). Also, after removing spring is it wise to fab the rough cut back to a level surface? just as the originals are shaped.

thanks-james.

· CA18DET Wizard
2,177 Posts
Ive been looking into a 2'' basic drop just for the experence factor of learning my car top to bottom. I have every tool needed for the job. I was wondering if anyone has cut the b12 springs and if they have how many coils were removed. My plan is to get a set from Pull-A-Part and keep the originals (just in case). Also, after removing spring is it wise to fab the rough cut back to a level surface? just as the originals are shaped.

thanks-james.
Dude, why don't you just buy my old Intrax springs and save yourself the double work. The car sat low and it didn't bottom out and that was with the KYB struts. I promise not to kill you with pricing:fluffy:

Dee

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.