Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lower my car a couple of inches and I want to know which of these two are better: Lowering springs or Coilovers.
Do I need to replace the shocks so that I do not bottom out?
What else is need to install in order for me to get a good suspension and also not to bottom out
thanks
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
*cough*pleasegotothesuspensionforumandreadthestickiesthere*cough*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
go with lowering springs all the way. eibach sportlines. coil overs will ruin your day and your car. if you are going to get lowering springs, do it the right way altogether with shocks. kyb agx adjustable shocks are good. but tockio gas are good also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
tony200 said:
go with lowering springs all the way. eibach sportlines. coil overs will ruin your day and your car. if you are going to get lowering springs, do it the right way altogether with shocks. kyb agx adjustable shocks are good. but tockio gas are good also.
Have you read the 'Sticky on Sentra Lowering Springs' at the top of this forum? A good coilover setup is the best suspension you can get for your car. (Not the cheap kind of coilovers often seen on eBay). With a coilover setup you have a choice of spring rates, can change the ride height, and on some you can vary the damping of the shocks. If you are seriously into track racing, you can corner weight the car which equalizes the forces on each corner.

The Sentra has very little total travel in the suspension (on the order of 4 inches). By lowering the car 2 inches, you use up half the travel, and need springs with a high rate to keep the suspension from bottoming even with aftermarket shocks like KYB AGXs. The Eibach Prokit (1.5" drop) and Sportline (2+" drop) springs do not have a high enough spring rate. I had Prokits on my car, and they bottomed (even with shortened bump stops) every day in normal driving.

If you choose to put lowering springs on your car, you will need heavier shocks. There is a Group Buy on Hyperco custom springs (1.4" drop) currently for the B13. They are designed specifically for the Sentra.

Lew
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
tony200 said:
go with lowering springs all the way. eibach sportlines. coil overs will ruin your day and your car. if you are going to get lowering springs, do it the right way altogether with shocks. kyb agx adjustable shocks are good. but tockio gas are good also.
I'm going to ask you to refrain from posting until you know what you're talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lshadoff said:
..... There is a Group Buy on Hyperco custom springs (1.4" drop) currently for the B13. They are designed specifically for the Sentra.

Lew
ok, i think i have it down finally. ive been reading around and hypercoils seems to be the best choice with a set of KYB AGX shocks. This would lower my car: front 1.0" (300lbs/in) and rear 5/8" (250lbs/in) which for me is not that bad since i do not want to slam my car.
I also need motivational rear mounts and koni bump stops. can someone give me a direct link?
and also how much weight can my stock b14 suport? hypercoil front is 300lbs/in and rear 250lbs/in. Would this be enough?
 

·
bitter old man
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
james120 said:
...also how much weight can my stock b14 support? hypercoil front is 300lbs/in and rear 250lbs/in. Would this be enough?
Eh? Please rephrase the question because it makes no sense as you asked it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
james120 said:
ok, i think i have it down finally. ive been reading around and hypercoils seems to be the best choice with a set of KYB AGX shocks. This would lower my car: front 1.0" (300lbs/in) and rear 5/8" (250lbs/in) which for me is not that bad since i do not want to slam my car.
I also need motivational rear mounts and koni bump stops. can someone give me a direct link?
and also how much weight can my stock b14 suport? hypercoil front is 300lbs/in and rear 250lbs/in. Would this be enough?
ok sorry. well these hypercoils i was looking at is :front 1.0" drop 300lbs/inch and rear 5/8" drop 250lbs/inch. will this be enough compared with my stock springs? How much wieght can my stock springs support?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
james120 said:
ok sorry. well these hypercoils i was looking at is :front 1.0" drop 300lbs/inch and rear 5/8" drop 250lbs/inch. will this be enough compared with my stock springs? How much wieght can my stock springs support?
That's not the right question to ask. You need a higher rate spring to limit the travel of the suspension and keep it from bottoming. (The stock springs are approximately 125/100 F/R.) You will need high performance shocks like the KYB AGX to control the heavier springs.

Lew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah thanks for the help!!!

I want to buy these hypercoils. I tried to contact the guy who is selling hypercos for $239 but no response. I think im too late..
Is there another source on witch I can get these hypercos?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
contact info for B14 hypercoil springs

james120 said:
ah thanks for the help!!!

I want to buy these hypercoils. I tried to contact the guy who is selling hypercos for $239 but no response. I think im too late..
Is there another source on witch I can get these hypercos?

Hey howzit,
I am going with the hypercoil/kyb/ME mounts/Koni bumpstops combo and I just recently bought the hypercoil springs for the B14. His name is Chris Scarpulla and his contact info is on the SR20 forums. It is as follows: [email protected] ---- Email him as I did, and he will hook you up,.... very professional :cheers: :thumbup: and response time is quick!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Sentra96816 said:
Hey howzit,
I am going with the hypercoil/kyb/ME mounts/Koni bumpstops combo and I just recently bought the hypercoil springs for the B14. His name is Chris Scarpulla and his contact info is on the SR20 forums. It is as follows: [email protected] ---- Email him as I did, and he will hook you up,.... very professional :cheers: :thumbup: and response time is quick!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BUMP BUMP---hey james120 you have to go and contact Chris Scarpulla NOW,...he only has 7 more B14 springs left so get on IT!! Just looking out for a fellow NF member :thumbup: :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sentra96816 said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BUMP BUMP---hey james120 you have to go and contact Chris Scarpulla NOW,...he only has 7 more B14 springs left so get on IT!! Just looking out for a fellow NF member :thumbup: :cheers:
I'VE SENT HIM AN EMAIL BUT I RECIEVED A NOTICE THAT THE EMAIL THAT I SENT DIDN'T GO THROUGH. I THINK IVE TRIED TO SEND HIM AN E-MAIL LIKE 3 TIMES ALREADY. SIGH. SHOULD I JUST GET EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS WITH THE AGX SHOCKS WITH KONI BUMP STOPS AND REAR MOUNTS?
 

·
I want my B14!!!!
Joined
·
187 Posts
james120 said:
I'VE SENT HIM AN EMAIL BUT I RECIEVED A NOTICE THAT THE EMAIL THAT I SENT DIDN'T GO THROUGH. I THINK IVE TRIED TO SEND HIM AN E-MAIL LIKE 3 TIMES ALREADY. SIGH. SHOULD I JUST GET EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS WITH THE AGX SHOCKS WITH KONI BUMP STOPS AND REAR MOUNTS?
Listen to those who are very familiar with our suspensions. Ultimately, the final decision will be yours. What you have to ask yourself is this:

Do you want to lower your ride but still have a 'ride comfort' equal to, if not greater than factory i.e. not bouncing all over the place?

Do you think you should cut corners and by a setup that you might have to replace because it's uncomfortable after a few weeks/months?

Sometimes you might be able to find deals on certain springs/coil-overs/shocks, and sometimes you'll have to take it up the arse and pay retail. As the saying around this board goes, "you have to pay to play". That holds true with suspension as well.

P.S. another set of springs that gets good reviews is the Tien. You might want to look into them. Search around a lil bit. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Neva2wicked said:
Listen to those who are very familiar with our suspensions. Ultimately, the final decision will be yours. What you have to ask yourself is this:

Do you want to lower your ride but still have a 'ride comfort' equal to, if not greater than factory i.e. not bouncing all over the place?

Do you think you should cut corners and by a setup that you might have to replace because it's uncomfortable after a few weeks/months?

Sometimes you might be able to find deals on certain springs/coil-overs/shocks, and sometimes you'll have to take it up the arse and pay retail. As the saying around this board goes, "you have to pay to play". That holds true with suspension as well.

P.S. another set of springs that gets good reviews is the Tien. You might want to look into them. Search around a lil bit. :)
Ok, Tein S-Tech lowering springs. Any information? These springs will lower my car 1.5". should I? I think lowering this much is too MUCH. Sigh, I want hypercoils....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
well i have eibach sportlines dropped 2" with tockio shocks and it rides really good. that last post that i wrote was my opinion. and chimmike and ishadoff,for the last time, i know what im talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
tony200 said:
well i have eibach sportlines dropped 2" with tockio shocks and it rides really good. that last post that i wrote was my opinion. and chimmike and ishadoff,for the last time, i know what im talking about.
Are you implying that we do not know what we are talking about?

Lew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
myoung, i dont want to say anything negative. i respect you and all the editors of the nissanperformance mag big time.i love reading your articles and you made my car what it is today by your information. im sure i know what im talking about. i just dont like the fact opinions and facts are being "lashed out". theres people here in the forum that dont know what they are talking about, but hey thats fine and it should be respected.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top