Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Sentra E
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 Sentra E, 1.6 liter engine, 4 speed manual, 203k miles. Trying to chase down stubborn oil leaks. Fixed 3 separate transmission leaks (reverse light switch, neutral switch and selector shaft seal). Transmission fine now.
Engine leaking too. I replaced front seal, oil pan gasket. Still leaking.

I just noticed while changing water pump that lower timing chain tensioner appears to be leaking as well. Can’t find specific instructions in my Haynes manual. It appears access can be gained by removing thermostat housing, according to a search in ga16de forum, however found no further information. It looks like after removing thermostat housing you remove two nuts. Should I replace tensioner or is it usually the gasket or is there an o-ring?
Does the tensioner use a clip to compress the plunger in order to install? If so how do you release clip after installation? I want to avoid removing timing cover as chains are not noisy. Thank you for any help.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,224 Posts
The lower tensioner uses a gasket. There's no clip to use for the lower tensioner. While the tensioner is removed, do not attempt to turn the crankshaft; if it's turned, the chain can skip some teeth.

·
Registered
91 Sentra E
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lower tensioner uses a gasket. There's no clip to use for the lower tensioner. While the tensioner is removed, do not attempt to turn the crankshaft; if it's turned, the chain can skip some teeth.
Thank you rogoman for the information,,, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
91 Sentra E
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE : Shout out to Rogoman. Your information regarding lower chain tensioner was spot on! Was difficult to get to, need to remove thermostat housing from a tight location. However the removal of tensioner is just two bolts, then I replaced it with a new tensioner and gasket and the (hopefully) last of the oil leaks/transmission leaks/coolant leaks is fixed!
Of note to others, if you have to replace water pump take a close look at the lower chain tensioner. If it’s leaking or noisy, that is time to replace it, not after new pump and belts are installed (like I did). Additionally I was surprised to note that my engine now has zero chain rattle on startup and is quieter overall!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts