Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic tells me I need a new lower ball joint. Are they the same on 1.6 models and 2.0's? Some company's list the same part numbers while others use different part numbers. I have a 93 XE and would like to use the lower control arm from that on my 94 SE-R if possible.

Also, I found new ones on internetautomart.com for $75. Is that a steal or cheap parts?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Most meachnics will just replace the LCA's when the bushings go bad, or the balljoint is bad because it's less work since new bushings and balljoints are already installed on them. However, if doing the work yourself, ball joints are typically inexpensive and not hard to do if you have a balljoint press. They're like $40 for a cheap one. $75 each sounds like a good price though for new LCA's with bushings and balljoints. I'd call Greg Vogel at Mossy though and see what they cost. 1-866-556-6779.

·
Registered
195 Posts
toolapcfan said:
Most meachnics will just replace the LCA's when the bushings go bad, or the balljoint is bad because it's less work since new bushings and balljoints are already installed on them. However, if doing the work yourself, ball joints are typically inexpensive and not hard to do if you have a balljoint press. They're like $40 for a cheap one. $75 each sounds like a good price though for new LCA's with bushings and balljoints. I'd call Greg Vogel at Mossy though and see what they cost. 1-866-556-6779.
What Rob said^^^.
Easier & quicker to replace the whole LCA w/ new ball joints & bushings.
I found them for around $104 online.
About 6 months ago I replaced a ball joint on my brother's '92 se-r.
Last time I checked, the dealer doesn't sell ball joints, new LCA only.
I bought ball joints for $20 each from suspension.com.
You have to hammer or press out the old ball joint, and press in the new one.
Is a few hours of your time worth the difference? Up to you...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did the ball joints in my 93 SE-R in about an hour. if you have the right tools to do a ball joint's its cheaper and almost less of a hassle to replace the LCA.
-Ben

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You just need to remove the retainer pin, put the old nut on top, sledge the old one out. Hit it really hard. Then, take a dremel tool and smooth the control arm until the new ball joint fits just snug. You don't want any slop, so just route it or bore it until the thing just fits in. I had no issue and no need for a ball joint press. Slip the new retainer and slap it in.

Buy Carquest parts. They are Moog heavy duty and greasable. Nice ball joints. They sell new tie rod ends also. Much thicker and stronger than the stock and greasable. Put in new control arm bushings while you have it apart

Chris 92 classic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts