Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 200sx se
GA16DE
5 speed
150,000mi
I tried to search
Ok this morning on the way to work my car started and warmed up fine but the heat didn't come on. When I stepped on it the heat came on but slowly faded back to cold.
At lunch, the same thing happened but the car started to over heat. Pulled over and the rad. level was low. Filled it up and bam. Heater works fine and car wont over heat.
WTF?
Would a low coolent level make the heater not work? Like not enuff coolent going through the heater core?
Oil and coolent look fine. No puddles on the carpet. Hoses look/feel good.
Thank you.
Dave

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you got no coolant to pump, then it will not cool down the engine and warm you up. If you are really low, the coolant will be below the water pump, and it doesn't go anywhere.

Now the question is.....Why it got low, and where it went? The cooling system is a sealed system. You should not have to add much fluid during normal use. Check to see that your water pump is not dying. If it is leaking coolant out the weep hole, then it's bad and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Borrow a coolant pressure tester from someone. Or you can have the system pressure tested. That way if the water pump is bad it will immediatly come out the weep hole in the water pump (as mentioned). Also if you haven't done a coolant change it sounds like now would be a great time for a flush/thermostat/refill. Be sure to remove all the air when you do this, you probally still have some air in your system now. As it was also mentioned the cooling system is a closed loop system......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
After thinking about it, it made sence.
It's been raining for a few days so when it drys up I can check it out. I have been keeping a good eye on the coolent level and it's not going down.
Thank you again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
heh I know I had to change mine because it leaked out of that hole in the water pump. I'd fill it up and 30 mins later there'd be a puddle of coolant. I found where it was coming from... I was not happy about that, it wasn't easy to change either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the water pump.
Good thing the rain stopped.
It's a beutiful day in San Diego to change a water pump.

Is there anything I should check for damage from the pump leaking?
Thank you,
Dave

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
Startours7 said:
It's the water pump.
Good thing the rain stopped.
It's a beutiful day in San Diego to change a water pump.

Is there anything I should check for damage from the pump leaking?
Thank you,
Dave
make sure that you clean the gasket material off the block and clean it real good, then just put the new one on and use new ahigh temp sealant but let it cure for 24 hours

1 - 8 of 8 Posts