Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, im not really new to Nissanforums, but I havent been on in a while because I usually come on when im having trouble with things. People here seem to know how to fix it. Haha.

Anyways, I have a 98 200sx SE (GA16DE) has alot of miles on it but theyre mostly highway. 185k miles, 5 spd. I was on my way to a friends house and I was driving up a big hill, down shifted into 3rd (when the car started to bog down) and all of a sudden it felt like it lost almost all compression and started making really loud ticking noises. Im a do-it-yourselfer, so I know a little bit about cars, and instantly assumed it was a "valve lifter" problem. But then I was told the GA16 doesnt have valve lifters. I opened the valve cover, pulled the spark plugs out, and used a wrench on the crank and i can hear ticking around the #1 piston and the timing chain. It sounds like its coming from the top (valvetrain) but I could be wrong. Does anyone know what it could be?

I also assumed it was something major, it does have alot of miles so it wouldnt be a suprise. It could be a crank bearing, "crankwalk" if anyone has any idea at all, help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the oil was fine... I even added a little bit of mystery oil just to see if it would make a difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cranked it over a few more times, and it still sounds like its coming from the timing chain area. Should I get the timing chain replaced and how much would that cost?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
check the top timing chain first and replace the tensioner. there are lots of threads here on this. The bottom one last longer.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, sorry I assumed it wasnt that common of a problem. So it could have something to do with the tensioners being bad? When I crank it over, if I crank it forward and then crank it backward the timing chain "sags" in the middle just a little bit, but if I just push down on the chain it doesnt sag at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts