Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a loud tapping in my sentra 1.6L. It may not actually be a tapping but that's the best description I can think of. The noise is definitely under the valve cover on the left side of the engine. Im guessing valve job. What do you guys think? Any insight to the cost of a valve job if that's the case?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that it's currently not doing it but it did it last week pretty much all week, then off and on before that. I have an oil leak and it seems to start doing it if I let the oil get too low.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its been leaking forever.. Im just being a lazy bum.. I don't know if the leak is easily fixable.. it doesn't seem to be coming from a seal or someplace obvious.. I think ill degrease underneath the engine this weekend and take a better look. But I still think it was a valve(s) that was making the noise.

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
floydiandays said:
Yeah its been leaking forever.. Im just being a lazy bum.. I don't know if the leak is easily fixable.. it doesn't seem to be coming from a seal or someplace obvious.. I think ill degrease underneath the engine this weekend and take a better look. But I still think it was a valve(s) that was making the noise.
Be extra sure before you decide where the oil leak came from. I currently have a leak and before I got my clutch installed, I purchased a rear main seal kit (which I thought it was). Got it put in and realized that it was the front main seal. Purchased the front seal kit yesterday, repairing this weekend. Be sure to get it fixed soon, all it takes is 1 good dry run and your tapping problem is going to get a lot worse.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
ist a long shot but do check your timing chain tensioner. as far as your oil leak jack your car up and put it on jack stands. spay brake kleen or any other brand all over your motor to get the oil off it. then start the car and rev it up and hold it around 3k rpm so the motor will run like your driving it. so after a little while get under the car and check to see if you can tell where its leaking from. worked for me good luck. and dont let your car run out of oil lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a look this morning before heading to work, and I think it may just be leaking out of the oil pan, like I may need to remove it and re-seal it. But I dunno. As far as the noise, would the chain tensioner be on the side closest to the alternator? And would it get noisy when low on oil and quiet again when I top it off? I don't think that's it but you never know!

·
Registered
98 Posts
floydiandays said:
I get a loud tapping in my sentra 1.6L. It may not actually be a tapping but that's the best description I can think of. The noise is definitely under the valve cover on the left side of the engine. Im guessing valve job. What do you guys think? Any insight to the cost of a valve job if that's the case?

Thanks!

well it could be a spun rod baring.

·
Right By DA Beach....
1,842 Posts
Sounds like a spun rod join the club..:) I went about a year with one before it took care of itself and died

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my chilton there's a lot of possible noises based on having low oil. (obviously) It's been running just fine and quiet since Ive been keeping it topped off. I dunno.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A little background on my car, why not. 1992 Sentra XE. 250,000 miles. Almost all the work myself. New alternator, water pump, distributer. New oil pan, which I did in a hurry in Phoenix at my parents after gouging my old one with a desert rock, LoL. That would make sense that it'd be leaking from there because I did it kind of in a hurry on my parents' street in the hot ass weather.

New wheel bearings, drive axles. I wish it was a 5 speed but it's not. I kind of want to sell this one and buy a 5 speed, but I have to say I am attached to this old car. She's been so good to me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
floydiandays said:
In my chilton there's a lot of possible noises based on having low oil. (obviously) It's been running just fine and quiet since Ive been keeping it topped off. I dunno.

well running low oil will cause damage to the rod barings, but if you dont have any problems when you have oil then i would just keep useing oil :thumbup:

·
Registered
851 Posts
floydiandays said:
A little background on my car, why not. 1992 Sentra XE. 250,000 miles. Almost all the work myself. New alternator, water pump, distributer. New oil pan, which I did in a hurry in Phoenix at my parents after gouging my old one with a desert rock, LoL. That would make sense that it'd be leaking from there because I did it kind of in a hurry on my parents' street in the hot ass weather.

New wheel bearings, drive axles. I wish it was a 5 speed but it's not. I kind of want to sell this one and buy a 5 speed, but I have to say I am attached to this old car. She's been so good to me.
4 speed standard? join the elite club :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts