Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just put in a custom exhaust in my 96 sentra xe. The muffler is very loud and I was wondering if I could just rig something up that would fit inside or over the muffler tip to quiet it down some. I don't care if it is ugly, as long as it will still be easy to take off and put back on. I just want something to quiet it down so that it won't bother my girlfriend so much. I read the thread about sound dampening material in the audio section, but I don't really want to spend the time or money and go so elaborate.
I was thinking something like a piece of sheet metal or wood with a few small holes in it. Something that will just slow the air flow and quiet it down.

Thanks guys

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
If its a canister style muffler, you can put a silencer on it. If not, go to the muffler shop you had the work done and get a resonator put in. Lower sound levels, lose 1-2 hp (not noticeable), keep law enforcement off your back.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
could have a glass pack installed
tones it down and sounds more mellow (better IMO)

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
Nismo1997 said:
I have a resanator for sale 2" in-outlet. Asking 50$ shipped
$50!?!? damn boy! you could buy a cherry bomb for $20 lol

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
SUPERFLYNISSAN200SX said:
I always misplace my silencer you guys ever get tired of that sound when your cruising the hwy and not even your subs can drown out the noise
one.....do you have a full cat back? or just a rice burner on a stock exhaust?
two.... do you have a res? if you say no to one of these questions that is your problem.

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
1.6pete said:
$50!?!? damn boy! you could buy a cherry bomb for $20 lol
This is a real deal one not that shitty 20$ thing. You play for what you get, I had it on my car for 2months if that. I paid 75$

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mod_That_Sentra said:
I just put in a custom exhaust in my 96 sentra xe. The muffler is very loud and I was wondering if I could just rig something up that would fit inside or over the muffler tip to quiet it down some. I don't care if it is ugly, as long as it will still be easy to take off and put back on. I just want something to quiet it down so that it won't bother my girlfriend so much. I read the thread about sound dampening material in the audio section, but I don't really want to spend the time or money and go so elaborate.
I was thinking something like a piece of sheet metal or wood with a few small holes in it. Something that will just slow the air flow and quiet it down.

Thanks guys
What you want it a cutout.

gf in car, cutout closed, through stock muffler
gf out of car, cutout open, bypassing stock muffler (And very loud)

Not my cup o tea, but if you want it really loud one way and really quiet the other, this is the best way...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts