Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car always makes a lot of ticking especially during start up and someone told me that could possibly be the valve springs going bad but i don't know. can anyone point me in a direction to what it is or how to fix it? thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
ricerboy17 said:
my car always makes a lot of ticking especially during start up and someone told me that could possibly be the valve springs going bad but i don't know. can anyone point me in a direction to what it is or how to fix it? thanks!

could be your injectors. i know my click for awhile but then go away i haven't thought much of it. if your car runs fine i don't think you have anything to worry about. or maybe it the shims (i think thats what there called its the thing that covers the valve that the cam rolls on) they could be wore down. take off your valve cover and see if there a copper color, if they are then they need replacing

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
PSr_SEX-R said:
maybe it the shims (i think thats what there called its the thing that covers the valve that the cam rolls on) they could be wore down. take off your valve cover and see if there a copper color, if they are then they need replacing
What PSr_SEX-P pointed out here is probably the culprit. The shim replacement procedure requires patience and two special tools, but is relatively easy to do. Check your Haynes manual or the Factory Service Manual to see the details. If you don't want to do it yourself, auto repair shops often refer to it as a "valvetrain adjustment".

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what kind of tools do i need and what are the parts called, i work at autozone so i could probably get all of this. thanks

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
ricerboy17 said:
what kind of tools do i need and what are the parts called, i work at autozone so i could probably get all of this. thanks
The "special tools" are basically an oddly shaped gripping tool to rotate the camshafts and a long, hooked rod to press down on the lifters so you can remove the shims. The B14 Factory Service Manual calls them "Camshaft Pliers" and a "Lifter Stopper".

I think you should take a look at the procedure in the FSM/Haynes manual though before you go out and get these tools. Although I don't have a B13 FSM around, I have a B14 manual which has the information you need in it (GA engine section). PM me and I'll upload it somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts