Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there Frontier enthusiasts,
This weekend I was helping a friend replace his water pump in his '05 frontier with the 4.0L v6 and we lost the plunger for the timing tensioner in the timing cover. I tried using a flexible magnet. I even dropped the oil pan and reached my arm/ the magnet as far into the bowels of the engine as I could but could not get this 2"x2/5th" piece out of the timing cover. So what I'm asking anyone here is if we need to disassemble the timing cover or is there a way to get this piece out without all the trouble? Or can we just leave that chunk of metal in there without it destroying the chain or any other components? We have had this thing open all weekend so I am open to most options that don't involve taking anything else apart. Please keep in mind that we have scrawny arms and have reached our magnets farther down than most people could see. Let me know if you have any better ideas or if we are doomed to take on the project of removing the timing cover???
Thanks and best wishes
_vinnie098

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,165 Posts
Unless you're able to see the piece and get it out with your flexible magnet, you'll have to take the front timing cover off to find the piece. It might be wedged between the chain and gear. When re-installing the timing cover, inspect the two O-rings for damage; if questionable, replace them otherwise you may end up with no oil pressure.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Flexible Arm Camera ie BoreScope

A Flexible Arm Camera ie Borescope might help you in this case.

Here's one for 18 $'s.

https://www.ltdcommodities.com/catalog/productDetailPage.jsp?productId=prod2330401&_requestid=2322903

Sorry I couldn't get the link to the Inspection Camera so just put this Product Name in the Search window of the above link; Wireless Inspection Scope

I've also seen the Lezard Snake advertised on the TV as well.

I would want one with a Light on the end.

One could use one of these thing's for more than just one application. I would like to have one for myself.

Good Luck

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,341 Posts
I wouldn't want to leave it in there! It might get stuck in an area where it'll never be a problem, but who knows for sure? If you so remove the cover, I wouldn't bother "checking" the O-rings. Replace them with new...and I'm pretty sure there's more than two. It would also be a good time to inspect the upper chain tensioner faces to see if the chains are cutting into them. If they are, replace the tensioner faces and the upper timing chains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts