Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK, heres the pics of that crappy part (It is completly hollow by the way):

Worth 480 Smackers??????? Ya Right!

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
did you cut out those opposite corners for fitting on a filter adapter?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You're pretty observant Mike! Actually, I was wondering about those corners myself. The mechanic must have had a hard time getting those screws out or something. Not really sure....

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
man, those screws couldn't have been that hard to get out! If I were you I'd investigate that ;)

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
chimmike said:
man, those screws couldn't have been that hard to get out! If I were you I'd investigate that ;)
This thread symbolizes why I started to learn how to work on my car. I couldn't stand being taken by mechanics who rely too much on computers instead of common sense and knowledge. The MAF in your situations could have been diagnosed by any one of you, with the right meter. This forum is an excellent source of information regarding our cars. If I took my car in for all the repairs I have done to it, it would have cost me well over $2000, which is more than I paid for it. Now, I can honestly say I've saved myself half that by doing the work myself and aquiring experience and tools. GL to you in the future, and don't let these crooks get away with it anymore.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Kindfiend said:
This thread symbolizes why I started to learn how to work on my car. I couldn't stand being taken by mechanics who rely too much on computers instead of common sense and knowledge. The MAF in your situations could have been diagnosed by any one of you, with the right meter. This forum is an excellent source of information regarding our cars. If I took my car in for all the repairs I have done to it, it would have cost me well over $2000, which is more than I paid for it. Now, I can honestly say I've saved myself half that by doing the work myself and aquiring experience and tools. GL to you in the future, and don't let these crooks get away with it anymore.
I hear what your saying, and I agree that you should do any work that you can on your own. But there are some things that you simply need a lift and the proper tools for in order to get done. In my case, I was lucky enough to finally find a mechanic that didnt take me for all my money. He kept the car 4 days till he correctly diagnosed it, and then only charges me 75 bucks to do the work. I too have acquired lots of tools, but these damn newer vehicles just arent made like they used to be, and I can barely fit a pubic hair between some of the spaces in the damn engine compartment. They make it REAL hard to work on. I will say that this forum can come in real handy though. Im glad I found it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ewrann said:
I'm having the EXACT same prob on my 2000 Sentra GXE. My trusted indy mechanic has had it for a few days and is at a loss. Hooking up to computer reveals multiple error codes. O2 sensor replacement did nothing. He thought it was the Cat Converter - took that off and car still sluggish. His contact at Nissan thinks it sound slike the Mass Air Flow sensor (or something) but my mech says that typically you can disconnect it and the car will run fine. He disco'd it and the car is still junk. Any ideas? I want to avoid bringing this to Nissan. Car has been through all safety recalls as well.

Thx,

E
I had the mass air flow go on my 2001 sentra and it would only rev up to like 2000-2500 rpm ans even if you un plug it it will still do it the best thing to do is go on ebay and get the mass air flow for about $120-130 thats the cheapest you will get it for

·
Registered
3 Posts
same no power problem, Nissan dealer cost me $ 120 & said it was mass air flow meter, replaced it, disconnected battery for 10 minutes, that reset but needed wireless entry button to kill alarm after reconnecting, then the SIS light was gone but still no acceleration power, Informed by very wise mechanic that Nissan throttle body and pedal needed to be replaced together because those two things would not always give a code read but have been faulty, he has worked on quite a few Nissan Altimas with these similar problems.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts