Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone and thanks for listening. After purchasing my first Sentra back in 1988, i was so pleased with this vehicle that I have talked many people into purchasing a Sentra. Since then, I purchased another new 1991 sentra, and then recently a 2000 GXE. I always feel like a NIssan spokesman when someone is looking for a new car and I tell thenm to buy a Sentra.

That aside, I have, unfortunately, recently been plagued with problems with this vehicle. I have had a service light come on and took the car in for service only to be charged 400.00 and the service light reappears after several hundred miles. Dealer then wants to charge me another 75.00 to check it again. Bastids! They reset the light and say it was due to fuel leaking back into the cylinder after the previous service job. Needless to say the light came on again after several miles. I refused to go back to the dealer.

Now I have a very serious performance issue with the car. When I first start the car, I have zero power. If I immediately put the car in gear, it has no power at all. I have to wait about a minute before I can take off. Once I do get going, I get the same problem when going uphill. VERY poor performance and the car sometimes jerks due to loss of power. On even roads or downhill I can get the car up to high speeds, but If I have to slow down for something, It is a bitch to get the car going again. Its pretty unsafe. I recently brought the car in for a service recall that replaced a crank shaft sensor or something and the recall stated that this could cause loss of power or the vehicle to shut off. I thought this would solve the problem, but it didnt. I brought the car to non dealer service shop and he said that he thinks the fuel filter may be clogged or that it seems like a fuel problem. I have also noticed something on the forums here about a Mass Air Flow sensor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am losing my faith in SENTRAS!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Having just gone thru this same senero with a 2001, First, The only fuel filter is in the tank with the fuel pump, they are one unit and expensive, Have it pressure tested before you even think about replacement.

In my case, I had a plugged cat converter, Not sure about yours since your from a different state, but mine has two. One is a dual unit mounted right on the exhaust manifold, the other down on the frame by the first muffler. The Cat that was bad on mine was on the manifold on the Cyl. 2/3 section, but this is sold as a unit as well and runs about $600.00

Replacing the Catalytic converter on my car resolved the problem, not saying that this might be your problem, but something to think about, see about having it smog checked, that might give an indication.

And before you pay some one another $75.00 to read the code, spend $20 more and buy the device to read it yourself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive been reading in the forums that AutoZone will do a free code check. I think I'll give that a shot. I wonder if that will show if it is the cat or not.

Seems my horn just decided to stop working too...blah. Its not the fuse so Im guessing its the relay. I guess I'll be at the parts dept tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a stalling & service engine soon light problem. 3 trips to the dealer and $400 later, I was told that there was a recall on my car due to some type of O2 sensor near the gas tank or something like that. They replaced it free of charge (after taking my $400 for no-so-necessary repairs). I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars, but it's worth checking out.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
the stalling you had was probably the crank position sensor. there's no O2 sensor near the gas tank.
Could be part of the evap system though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
chimmike said:
the stalling you had was probably the crank position sensor. there's no O2 sensor near the gas tank.
Could be part of the evap system though.
Thanks. I knew it was some kind of sensor. It's been about 6 months since it happened. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, I had the crank postion sensor recall done on my vehicle with no performance gain whatsoever. I feel like the little engine that could trying to get up the damn hills. My car bucks like a bronco at times, and I cant get out of my own damn way half the time. It doesnt however stall, and never has.Im starting to think perhaps no1see2me is right about the cat converter. I was however also wondering if any has had experience with the MAF sensor being faulty. Would this cause the same results? Is there a way that I can check it myself? BTW I have 109,000 miles on the car, almost all highway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I tried AutoZone, but they couldnt read the computer because my "service engine " light wasnt lit up. I suppose I'll have to pay the 75.00 to my Nissan dealer to hook it up to theirs. Bummer!

·