Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Nissan d12
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 d21 5 speed with the 2.4 motor. When I am driving home at night at work I start getting squealing from my belts and my temperature starts going up then half way home I start losing power it’s fine if I cut my lights off. I had the alternator tested and it’s good. All the belts are good but one it’s on the power steering pump. Planning on changing it in the morning when I get up. What can I do to fix all this?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Dunno if you have an overrunning clutch on your alternator pulley, but if so it may be bad. Or you may have a bad armature or bearing that's seizing up with heat. One way or the other, if it disappears as soon as you lighten the electrical load, it has to be a mechanical issue with the alternator that isn't showing up on the test machine.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a 96 d12 5 speed with the 2.4 motor. When I am driving home at night at work I start getting squealing from my belts and my temperature starts going up then half way home I start losing power it’s fine if I cut my lights off. I had the alternator tested and it’s good. All the belts are good but one it’s on the power steering pump. Planning on changing it in the morning when I get up. What can I do to fix all this?
Thor,

On my '93 with the 2.4L my Water Pump started leaking somewhere around 170K mile's and had it replaced. Since the Motor is getting hotter, it might be the Water Pump starting to seize up. It also might be one of the Belt Idle Tensioner's bearing starting to seize up, causing the Belt's to Squeal. Might also be the Alternater Bearing starting to Seize Up causing the Belt's to squeal. Might be the Power Steering Pump Bearing seizing up, since you see that belt as needing to be changed.

If it were me, I would take it to Nissan and ask the Master Tech to figure it out. You might have to let him drive it for a couple day's so that he can isolate the problem.

Best to get this figured out ASAP before Serious Engine Damage Occur's.

Regards,

·
Registered
549 Posts
it might be the Water Pump starting to seize up. It also might be one of the Belt Idle Tensioner's bearing starting to seize up, causing the Belt's to Squeal. Might also be the Alternater Bearing starting to Seize Up causing the Belt's to squeal. Might be the Power Steering Pump Bearing seizing up, since you see that belt as needing to be changed.
In this instance, none of those things are likely to cause a problem that disappears when the electrical load is reduced. A slipping P/S belt or seizing P/S pump would also cause obvious steering issues, and a slipping W/P belt, a W/P leaking on the belt, or a seizing W/P would all cause issues day or night.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In this instance, none of those things are likely to cause a problem that disappears when the electrical load is reduced. A slipping P/S belt or seizing P/S pump would also cause obvious steering issues, and a slipping W/P belt, a W/P leaking on the belt, or a seizing W/P would all cause issues day or night.
Vstar,

Thor said his engine temperature start's to go up. So what's causeing the Engine Temp to Rise? I don't see a relationship with Engine Temp and the Alternator. If the Alternator is starting to seize up, that would cause the Engine to work harder and I suppose that could cause the Engine Temp to Rise.

Seem's to me that he may have more than One Problem.

At any rate,, whatever it is,, when it come's to Engine Temperature Riseing as well as Loss of Electrical,, it's time to Spend some money and find out what the problem is before Serious Engine Damage or Extreme Low Visibility that may result in Loss of Control and a Serious Injury to the OP or to another Shareing the Roadway.

Diagnoseing and Repairing on the Internet is at Optimum, Luck at Guessing without ever seeing the vehicle 1st hand. You may be Totally Right, and if so, I'll give you a Golden Star.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thor said his engine temperature start's to go up. So what's causeing the Engine Temp to Rise? I don't see a relationship with Engine Temp and the Alternator. If the Alternator is starting to seize up, that would cause the Engine to work harder and I suppose that could cause the Engine Temp to Rise.
No, anything on the belt that seizes will slow the belt down, so the alternator seizing will slow down the W/P too. The fact that all the problems disappear with the headlights off pretty much means if the belt is good and the tensioner has tension, the alternator has to be the culprit. Unless of course the OP is giving us an incomplete description, but I'm assuming he isn't. The problem in the alternator could certainly be heat-related, and that's something the test machines in the parts stores don't check for. They just load it and run it up to speed to check for output. Running with a full electrical load generates plenty of internal heat in any alternator, but the testers don't run it long enough for problems like that to show up.

·
Registered
422 Posts
No, anything on the belt that seizes will slow the belt down, so the alternator seizing will slow down the W/P too. The fact that all the problems disappear with the headlights off pretty much means if the belt is good and the tensioner has tension, the alternator has to be the culprit. Unless of course the OP is giving us an incomplete description, but I'm assuming he isn't. The problem in the alternator could certainly be heat-related, and that's something the test machines in the parts stores don't check for. They just load it and run it up to speed to check for output. Running with a full electrical load generates plenty of internal heat in any alternator, but the testers don't run it long enough for problems like that to show up.
Vstar,

That sound's pretty good to me, as the Water Pump, Alternator, and Crank are on that belt according to the Service Manual for a '93 KA24E 4cyl. I would also like to know about the Water Pump just to rule it out completely, as in Leaking or Binding, and as an Elementary makeing sure that the Belt has the Proper Tension, and not Glazed, causeing it to Slip and Squeal under extra load of the Alternator.

I would also like to know the Battery condition, Age, and if the Terminal's are Clean and Tight to illiminate excessive draw on the Alternator. This is a common area that is Neglected till a problem pops. I don't know the Region of this Truck and the Winter Temperature's, but many area's in the US are in Severe Cold Temps which put's a lot of stress on the Battery and the need for Clean/Tight Connection's.

We might be surprised if it was the Battery, Ground Strap, corroded terminal's, the Belt itself or not properly tensioned.

Sometime's Simple isn't so Simple, but We are Glad when it is.

Regards,

·
Registered
96 Nissan d12
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks y’all for all the help I got the squealing to stop yesterday before I went to work and had no problem last night on the way home from work

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks y’all for all the help I got the squealing to stop yesterday before I went to work and had no problem last night on the way home from work
Thanks Thor,

Thanks for getting back to us. Vstar was about to Clobber me. :)

Do you think that it just needed belt tensioning? If your battery terminal's are a bit corroded, use some bakeing soda and water solution to clean them up. Make sure the cable's are Tight and put a Thick coating of Grease on the Bare Metal to prevent Corrosion in the Future. There are other way's to help prevent corrosion,, but I've used Grease for Year's and Year's and Year's. It's the Best Corrosion preventative for Battery Terminal's that I know of.

If you are in a Cold Weather Region, I hope all is going well. I would hate to be liveing in Texas right now.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
96 Nissan d12
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Don’t really know but after I change the belt that need to be changed I made sure everything was good. I will know for sure tonight when I get off it’s cold and raining where I am at. So hopefully I fixed the issue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts