Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my worst of fears happened this week. it was around 8 pm, and i was at a street light. the light turned green, i depressed my clutch, which didn't come back up. i was in the left lane, but the street had no shoulders anyway, so i immediately turned my flashers on and called AAA. fools were still honking at me. good thing a cop saw my dilemma and used his car to push mine into safety.

my clutch had been playing tricks on me for a few days , and i was planning on bringing it into the dealer this weekend. guess we didn't quite make it. so my question is, would the clutch cable had been covered by warranty if i took it to the dealer?

i have loved my 97 200 SX SE-R ever since i bought it new, but what is up with nissan quality after 4 years? my car has stalled on me twice before. the first time was a blown fuse. the second time was another blown fuse caused by a faulty ecu wire (this may also have been the cause of the first stall 1 year earlier). and now the clutch cable. my brother's 96 celica never left him stranded on the road. neither did my dad's 90 corolla and 94 plymouth voyager.

now i'm having second thoughts about ordering the new Z next february. i have heard that the early generations of the 90's 300zx also had their share of problems.

any comments, advice, faith healers?

valiant
1997 200 SX SE-R

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I'll tell you this, my nissan is an awsome car. I can do anything to it and it keeps tickin. But like anycar manufacturer there is an occasional lemon. But if the car is still under warrenty then the clutch linkage should be coverd. Call em up and check it out, and if they say no, find another resource cuz they might try to screw you at the dealership.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont lose faith

please dont lose faith.... my whole family owns nissans(dad has a 2000 extera mom has a 97 maxima and my lil bro has the b14 200sx that i'm modding now. i also have owned 2 nissan 240's, and i currently own 1 badass s13 now. well anyways.. please just give it a try... and work with them.. they take a little bit of nuturing but nissan is the greatest cars ever made!.. trust me

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm in your situation valiant, is this your first car??? i'm asking this because my first ever car is a b14 sentra. with many problems, one right after the other.........and as my first car, i'm not really sure if this stuff is normal or so.........so i have doubted my faith in nissan as well, but i figure all this is normal wear and tear and would need 2 be replaced on any car (even them million dollar cars) so i'm sticking with my car, and i hope u do 2:p

·
Team Serious
2,133 Posts
well my car is a 99... and so far my cap whent bad trunk light blew 3x ....trunk leaks.....battery sucks...and allot more that i can't think of right now...

i think you just have to get the right car...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Haaaa! Those problems your having are so minor it's not funny! You need to talk to owners of other cars that have $500 + fix it problems on their cars. In my opinion my B14 rocks. Never left me stranded, ever. 112K on the ticker before the motor swap, 3 accidents, driven very hard and abusive and nothin breaks on the darn thing :confused: Your talking what 2 fuses and a clutch cable. Huh go try your luck with another mfg. You'll be back :rolleyes:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply everyone.....

dope200, thanks for the reply but i was looking more for facts and numbers rather than the opinions you gave.

>
Slow 96R said:
>Haaaa! Those problems your having are so minor it's not >funny!

no it's not funny when you're driving down the street and all of a sudden my car dies. not once but 3 times. it wouldn't be funny either if this happened on an interstate highway.

>You need to talk to owners of other cars that have $500 + fix it >problems on their cars.

or maybe i'll just talk to my brother (96 celica). i don't even think he's ever taken his car to the dealer for maintenance problems. if the car does die on the interstate, i don't care if it costs me $2 to fix the problem, i still wouldn't feel too good about my car.

>In my opinion my B14 rocks. Never left me stranded, ever. 112K >on the ticker before the motor swap, 3 accidents, driven very >hard and abusive and nothin breaks on the
>darn .thing :confused:

thanks for the confidence boost. you have a great car.

peace.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gotta point

dude, you have a point by saying that even if your car has a very very minor problem that leaves u stranded on the road, even if its so easy to fix its free.....you would still feel bad about it...because u got left stranded.. thats a great point man.........and yo, no problem no matter what it is is minor

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have 150K on the odometer and never had any problems or was stranded. Ofcourse for precautionary measures I had a new clutch cable installed at 130k because there wasn't anymore adjustment left in it. Just remember to keep up with maintenance and that certain parts aren't ment to last forever, ie: battery, alternator, plugs, wires, and light bulbs. I've owned a '84 Buick, '91 B13, '96 B14, '00 Civic, and '03 Matrix. Also, my father's 2002 BMW M Coupe has been in the shop 5X and it's not even a year old but his 2000 Maxima has never had any mechnical problems.

·
Driver
736 Posts
I've found not driving the car often enough tends to get it to break more often. Since I've begun driving it on a regular basis, it hasn't had any alternator or other mechanical problems...well besides regular maintenance items(left me stranded once with only about 40,000 miles on it because of faulty alternator and battery).

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Well my car has died on my 3 times in a row on the freeway. I was in bumper to bumper Los Angeles traffic and it cleared up somewhat, i hit the gas and it dies out. I believe my oil pressure was too low and i might have had the A/C on, not sure. I still love my sentra though. It turned on while still moving and i went on like nothing. My clutch pedal did that one time but i have aftermarket pedals and it got stuck on the carpet. Again, minor, im not going to buy a new car cause of shit like this. I dont know a lot about mechanics but im not going to cry over some minor shit like this.

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
Let me add my 2 cents to the mix. My car has left me stranded once, no fault of the car. When I got my ECU from JWT, I first received one that worked for about 8 hours before it smoked and wouldn't allow the car to start. They quickly sent me another and it's been fine for about 4 yrs. now. Other than that, awesome car, even in stock form. If something happened to my car, I'd definitely get another, even though it might not be the same, but you get the point.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's a car. Things break and wear out. As a general rule, Nissans and especially the SE-R are more reliable than most. For every friend that owns a Celica that's never broke, there'll be an SE-R owner saying he's never been stranded either. Just keep your car maintained and replace parts that wear hopefully before they break... that's the best you can do for any car.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Teknokid said:
Well my car has died on my 3 times in a row on the freeway. I was in bumper to bumper Los Angeles traffic and it cleared up somewhat, i hit the gas and it dies out. I believe my oil pressure was too low and i might have had the A/C on, not sure. I still love my sentra though. It turned on while still moving and i went on like nothing. My clutch pedal did that one time but i have aftermarket pedals and it got stuck on the carpet. Again, minor, im not going to buy a new car cause of shit like this.

well, different situations, really. your car started right back up while i had to wait for AAA 3x. i also had to pay for car rental 2x for several days.

[/B][/QUOTE]

>I dont know a lot about mechanics but im not going to cry over >some minor shit like this. [/B][/QUOTE]

"crying over shit like this?" i'm getting flamed for trying to find the truth about our cars? so your saying you wouldn't mind it if your car broke down on you 3x? you wouldn't even ask around to see if other nissan owners have had the same experience? wow. if and only if this is so, then you're saying that you know and accept that your car's quality is inferior.

don't get me wrong. i still think that nissans are dope cars. when it comes to perfomance and value, they are right there at the top. but maybe it all comes with a price. maybe just maybe quality is sacrificed. after all, nothing is perfect and there's always room for improvement.

by the way, i don't know if i've already mentioned this, but my new car has been narrowed down to the wrx, is 300, and the z (see, i still believe :) )

·
Registered
139 Posts
My baby has only left me stranded once!! But no fault of the cars!!I wired my system wrong and fried my batt hahhah...

·
Registered
145 Posts
i highly doubt that there is/was a car ever made that didnt leave someone stranded. shit happens... ya fix it and keep on going. i dont care what kind of car it is... one day... it'll break down...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no car thats ever left anyone stranded

have u guys seen that commercial for toyota where there is this hot chic on the side of the road with her toyota broken down, and two dudes pass by in a truck.......and as the driver is about to stop, he looks at the car and floors it (the passenger says 'hey, what r u doing?') and the driver says 'its a trap, when have u ever seen a toyota on the side of a road?' and then the camera pans to the chic, she takes off a mask to be some secret agent dude.................i just thought it was funny

·
Banned
126 Posts
Im the second owner of my car... its a 97 200 sx se and I havent had to replace anything except brakes. it has 153,000 miles too!

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
valiant said:
"crying over shit like this?" i'm getting flamed for trying to find the truth about our cars? so your saying you wouldn't mind it if your car broke down on you 3x? you wouldn't even ask around to see if other nissan owners have had the same experience?

don't get me wrong. i still think that nissans are dope cars. when it comes to perfomance and value, they are right there at the top. but maybe it all comes with a price. maybe just maybe quality is sacrificed. after all, nothing is perfect and there's always room for improvement.
Not every car is perfect. My EGR valve does not work, no big deal, i found out a lot of people around the same mileage range have this problem. Im not saying, "oh my EGR valve doesnt work, i should go buy a honda". Every car is going to have its problems. Im not flaming you, its just i think youre an idiot. You say you still think nissans are dope cars yet the heading on your thread says im losing faith in nissan. I think you should get a WRX or a IS300 because the 300z is a Nissan and you might get mad if something wears out or breaks on you.

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts
Platinum200 said:
Im the second owner of my car... its a 97 200 sx se and I havent had to replace anything except brakes. it has 153,000 miles too!
I'm also the second owner of my Sentra, and love it to pieces. Sure I get pissed when things stop working right, but I fork out the cash and have it replaced. I am very satisfied with Nissans, and think they are excellent cars. My 97 Sentra has 63K miles, and I have had some things replaced:
  • Distributor Wires, and Rotors [54K]
  • Fuel Injectors [52K]
  • AAC Valve [49k]
  • O2 Sensor
  • Front Brakes [2x]
  • More, that I can't remember
I have Four Nissans in my family, and each has had some work done on it, but have showed that they are very reliable, and dependable.

Realize this: THINGS ON CARS ARE GOING TO GO BAD! Its called wear and tear. Sure, some things can go prematurely, but that is out of your control. Treat your car the way you want to be treated, and the rewards will be plenty.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.