Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a '06 Pathfinder with about 48,000 miles on it. She told me that when she went to leave her parking lot at work and went to turn the steering wheel that she heard a cracking or ratcheting kind of sound. After that the steering wheel became loose. I went out to take a look at it and sure enough you can move the wheel up and down and side to side about 1/2" to 3/4". I pulled the center of the steering wheel off thinking that maybe the nut that holds the wheel on became loose but that wasn't it. The end of the shaft that the wheel attaches too is loose. Has anyone else out there run into this problem? We are going to file a complaint with the NHTSA because I feel this could be a serious safety issue. The wheel could lock-up if there are broken pieces inside the shaft or who knows the wheel could come off completely. We are going to take to the dealer to be fixed as soon as we can, I'm sure it's going to cost a small fortune. If anybody has had this problem please file a coplaint with the NHTSA, (National Highway Transportation Safety Admministation), hopefully we can get this turned into a safety-recall.

Please ignore my spelling mistakes, everytime I tried to use spell-check it would erase my post and I would have to start all over again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't buy the extended warranty. I only had the 3/36,000mi coverage. It's going to cost right around $955.00. Suprisingly though the dealership told us that Nissan might be willing to give us a discount, something like 25% off the cost, because the malfunction was definitly not from regular wear and tear. We've already filed a complaint with them before we even took the vehicle to the dealership though and we are also getting the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration involved. So I'm hopping that we can get this problem deemed a safety recall so that others won't have to pay out of pocket for the repair. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the NHTS don't usually do shit about this unless there is a high % of these vehicles coming back with this same problem...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I know but it's worth a shot. I've posted the same problem on several forums and found that there are indeed a lot of people who have had this problem and its not just Pathfinders most of the people I've heard from are '06 Frontier owners. One guy had his steering become loose then all of a sudden became so tight that he could barely turn the wheel. It's stories like that the NHTSA needs to hear about.:waving:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts