Nissan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here so let me start from the beginning.

I recently own myself a 1995 Plymouth Neon (yup laugh it up, everyone else does) with a few little performance parts, nothing major/impressive. But I have beat my fair share of cars V6's and 4-bangers with it. But as of now I'm trying to get a good fulltime nice paying job. I was originally planning on buying another neon and suping it up because they can be quick but my friends have talked me into buying a nissan, which I've been thinkin about doing for a while now anyway. Now I find myself wanting the Nissan 200SX SE-R and do the blacktop engine swap with the turbo, manual transmission...

Here's a few questions:
About how much would one of these run me in good condition?
Where can I find one? I've been looking all over so I could get a closer look at one.
How are these on performance and handling?

I'm from Upper NY State. Northwest of Albany NY about 40-50 minutes depending on how fast your driving.

Any replies, comments, answers, anything would be greatly appreciated.

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
IMO...

Great choice! your SE-R will be a great car to improve apon. If you don't want to turbocharge, you can get plenty of NA parts also (just giving options)

If I were going to get an SE-R I would look for one w/ low-milage that needs a new engine (save yourself the money, you'll swap it anyway) and put a SR20DET in it. Other options would be to check out turbo kits for the DE and find a SE-R w/ a good LOW MILEAGE ENGINE then have the kit installed.
Keep looking, I think these cars are in demand, so if you find one, don't hesitate to get the ball rolling or the car will be sold TRUST ME!!!!

Nissan engineers like to design there cars with overly large wheel wells, so if you do build up your SE-R, you can put some pretty big wheels on to help w/ traction & handling. (check w/ the sections in this forum about wheels for a more concise answer) the suspension can be tuned also. It's never going to be a Ferrari in that respect, though the handling isn't bad and can be improved apon from stock. If you have the extra money, check out the Infinity G20 (P11)... It has the SR20DE and it performs more like a touring car. It's suspension/handling has been widely praised and you can swap in the DET or whatever. Hope I helped cause this turned out to be pretty long winded post.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
agreed.. se-r wonderful car.. =)

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
cool hope to see you around.
here's what I think you should do:
Option 1:
If you're gonna do an engine swap, I would suggest saving yourself the money and look for the SE. Look for a 1.6 200sx 5 speed with higher miles on it. If you're gonna swap out the engine anyway, don't search for a car that's in high demand and you won't need one with low miles either. you can probably save 5000 this way which is plenty to do a bluebird swap any day. (more cost effective)

or Option 2:
Find a nice SE-R with low miles on it and Slap on a Hotshot turbo kit. (less work)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I was gonna do the blacktop head swap and stage the axles and the clutch and put a turbo on the engine and get a digital boost controler..

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
I don't think they make the blacktop for the FWD nissans. I think you have a choice between the Blurbird and the GTi-R the SR20DETs are in the following choices:
Rear wheel Drive: (240sx/silvia)
s13 red-top DET ~205hp
s13 black-top DET ~205hp
s14 DET ~220
s15 DET ~250

Front Wheel Drive: (sentra/200sx/nx/altima...)
Bluebird DET ~210
GTi-R DET ~235

also available (FWD):
GA16VE ~135
SR20VE ~185
SR20VET ~250 (rare)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1997 GA16DE said:
I don't think they make the blacktop for the FWD nissans. I think you have a choice between the Blurbird and the GTi-R the SR20DETs are in the following choices:
Rear wheel Drive: (240sx/silvia)
s13 red-top DET ~205hp
s13 black-top DET ~205hp
s14 DET ~220
s15 DET ~250

Front Wheel Drive: (sentra/200sx/nx/altima...)
Bluebird DET ~210
GTi-R DET ~235

also available (FWD):
GA16VE ~135
SR20VE ~185
SR20VET ~250 (rare)

Whats the torque on the Bluebird DET and GTi-R DET? and which one would be a better option and pricing on them? I would just like to know so I know what to expect when I buy my new car (which won't be for a while) and start to do work on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the se-r's are very good handlers. the stock transmission has LSD!!!! it will be a great buy for you. im not sure if hot shot makes a turbo KIT for the sr20de's, but they make some turbo parts for it, i think. fmax and hks are good turbo kit add ons to the stock se-r engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts