Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have been reading and reading, but I still dont feel good about what I am looking for. I want a cat back exhaust system, for a decent price, that isnt LOUD! Dont get me wrong, I am not looking for the stock sound or anything, but I HATE the fart can sounding, rice rice baby, exhaust I hear all over the planet. My goal is to decrease backpressure without waking up the neighborhood. Any suggestions? Real world experience? I can build my own kit as I have a bender, etc, and I will if I cant find a decently priced kit, but I am getting lazy in my old age and dont want too. :thumbup:

Thanks in advance for ideas :cheers:

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Yes if you have around $500, that is the best cat back available for our cars.
Other than that, I would just make one myself, or have a muffler shop fab one up for me.
The guidlines are 2" NO BIGGER, you will loose power.
Mandrel bent tubeing prefered, but crush will be ok for what you are looking to do.
Magnaflow muffler. Not to expinsive, and sounds great.
If you plan on getting a header, you must install a resonator, or you WILL get the angry bee's in your muffler sound. The longer the better.
Also if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. No matter how dumb they sound. Either PSU or I will be able to help. Or some other people.....lol

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Stromung rocks. A lot of small shops can make you an exhaust. Some have a mandrel bender, some do not. You can tell mandrel v. crush because mandrel bends are smooth, and crush is generally crinkly like an accordian. I would imagine VRS can also make you an exhaust. I have a Magnaflow muffler and I am very happy with it. And as said earlier, res it. It will be deeper, quieter and more aggressive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nostrodomas said:
Other than that, I would just make one myself, or have a muffler shop fab one up for me.
Mandrel bent tubeing prefered, but crush will be ok for what you are looking to do.
If you plan on getting a header, you must install a resonator, or you WILL get the angry bee's in your muffler sound. The longer the better.
Also if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. No matter how dumb they sound. Either PSU or I will be able to help. Or some other people.....lol

Thanks guys. From all my research I have figured I will probably have to bend one up myself, and definitely 2 inch. I am just wondering what mufflers I think at this point. I prefer the quieter the better. Would a 2 chamber magnaflow still give me gains? Or do I need to go straight pass thru to get any horsies ;) I am going to keep my stock header for now cause I dont feel like screwing with CA smog :rolleyes: Would I get any gains from just removing the second cat and putting a decent muffler in, or do I really NEED to go to 2 inch tube?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NickZac said:
Stromung rocks. A lot of small shops can make you an exhaust. Some have a mandrel bender, some do not. You can tell mandrel v. crush because mandrel bends are smooth, and crush is generally crinkly like an accordian. I would imagine VRS can also make you an exhaust. I have a Magnaflow muffler and I am very happy with it. And as said earlier, res it. It will be deeper, quieter and more aggressive.

I have a JD3 Bender with 1/1.75/2/2.5/3/3.5 dies setup with hydraulic. I build Jeep roll cages with it. Overkill for this, but it will certainly make a sweet bend ;) I just dont wanna deal with designing it and bending it. Thats sounds like the type of muffler I am looking for. I dont mind if its a little loud when I am "driving", but I want it to almost be non existant when I am commuting ;) I hate the drone on the freeway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NickZac said:
You will definately want to get a resonator when you get your exhaust then.

Is there a particular brand or model that works well? I read something about the baffles being ported that was better, and cant remember where I read it to go look again :loser:

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
The Magnaflow resonators make the Spec V sound good and Magnaflow products are well made. IIRC Greddy makes a 24 inch resonator. When my buddy put his HotShot header on, the car still sounded deep and mean.

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
Too bad i didn't have the money when the group buy was on for the Stromung catback...im so regredding not getting one :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
kstrongsyj said:
Thanks guys. From all my research I have figured I will probably have to bend one up myself, and definitely 2 inch. I am just wondering what mufflers I think at this point. I prefer the quieter the better. Would a 2 chamber magnaflow still give me gains? Or do I need to go straight pass thru to get any horsies ;) I am going to keep my stock header for now cause I dont feel like screwing with CA smog :rolleyes: Would I get any gains from just removing the second cat and putting a decent muffler in, or do I really NEED to go to 2 inch tube?
Just make sure that who ever you have bend the pipes that they can do a smooth, precision mandrel bend that way your ID stays the same throughout the pipe. Just my .02.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kstrongsyj said:
Would a 2 chamber magnaflow still give me gains? Or do I need to go straight pass thru to get any horsies ;)

Would I get any gains from just removing the second cat and putting a decent muffler in, or do I really NEED to go to 2 inch tube?

2 questions I need answered still ;) I am really considering just swapping out the muffler and eliminating the second catalytic converter.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Who knows? I mean, if it's mandrel bent, 2" piping.. could be quite good.. I haven't had any experience with that specific product though..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts