Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
I am looking for a car for when i go to grad school next year. I previously owned a '92 3000gt, and then sold it because i needed money for my undergrad education. I've been driving a '88 accord. it's a pos, but has never given me any problems. I am looking for something reliable, but with a decent bit of punch. Price range about $8k-ish. also, i'd like to be able to turbo it eventually. I have decent mechanical skills (i changed the clutch myself on the 3000gt).
what do you guys think? mileage, year, options, etc? looks like nissan is a pretty good bet. thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey,
I was looking more for suggestions on what engine/year type of car so I could look around my area. I had a bad experience picking up my old car when I bought it from a distance. I live in kansas, NY is kind of a trip. Anyway, your car looks pretty nice, what's the mileage and engine? thanks

·
I want my B14!!!!
187 Posts
Well it all depends on your particular driving habits. For the most part, you'd want any car that came with the SR engine: G20, 91-94 Sentra SE-R, NX2K, 95-98 200SX SE-R, 98-01 Sentra SE. Those would be your best choices since they come with the SR engine. With that engine in mind, you could eventually turbo it later, or you could easily swap in the SR20DET engine.

Since you're looking for some decent punch, I'd stay away from the 1.6L (GA) engine. It does have potential, but in its current state (aftermarket wise) it can't compete with the SR. There are several individuals who are making progress though, so in the near future we may gain some ground.

Or if you're really bold, you could easily find an early 90s 300zx since it has quite a bit of punch stock. However, just like the 3000gt, maintenance is going to cost an arm and a leg :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great post Neva2wicked. yeah, i'm not sure I trust the reliability and repair costs of a 300zx, even though if i could afford two cars it would probably be one. btw, what is a NX2K? thanks a lot, once again

·
I want my B14!!!!
187 Posts
kudude said:
great post Neva2wicked. yeah, i'm not sure I trust the reliability and repair costs of a 300zx, even though if i could afford two cars it would probably be one. btw, what is a NX2K? thanks a lot, once again
The NX2k is the NX2000. I believe it was made between 91-93 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I've actually seen a couple of them around and IMO they look similar to the Mazda MX-3. (Their front brake setup aka Big Brake upgrade is a great upgrade for the several of the B14 cars) I really don't know much about it but if you check out: SR20 board You'll get all the info you need on the SR-powered cars.
Good luck in your search :)

On a side note, and I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to include this in my previous post. If you do go with the 1.6L cars, you could always turbo them with the Hotshot kit for about 3k(check out the NPM article), or swap in the SR20det, SR2016ve, or the SR20VE for around 5- the latter two being Nissan's version of Vtec. With such swaps, you would have to swap out the engine, transmission, axles, and a bunch of other miscellaneous parts.

If the car you decide to buy one that comes with the Sr engine, the swaps will be much cheaper.

If you would like to remain with the Mitsu line-up, here's another option. A friend of mine went with a 96 Mitsubishi mirage (he lives in NC) and is currently in the process of swapping in the 4G63T from the Evolution VIII. Its the perfect swap for anything before the 97 model, though the process is much like the GA-SR swap for Nissans. The info can be found here: Mirage Engine swaps
All the FAQs you need for the Mirage

Good luck in your search :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
The NX2000 is an SR powered sporty coupe based on the B13 Sentra platform. Looks like everyone has outlined the SR20 powered cars for you. I don't know about Mitsu but the SR20 series of engines are supposedly some of the most turbo friendly 4-cylinders ever made. The SR20VE is an all-motor engine good for almost 190 hp.

Yes the GA16 is a slower engine and won't provide the punch you might necessarily want from stock, but it's a gutsy engine that won't die! It all depends on what you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts