Nissan Forum banner

Looking At An 02 Frontier

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  4X4D21 
#1 ·
Tomorrow I'm going to look at an '02 Frontier pickup. I have only had 4cyl. Nissans. Anything in particular to watch out for with the 6 cly. engine, or that particular year? I have no idea yet of the miles or even the price, I just noticed it on the way home tonight, so I thought I would check it out.

#2 ·
I took a quick look at this truck. It has the 3.3 V6 and a 5 speed. It is on a lot, which I typically avoid, but it looks pretty good. They are asking $9995.00 for it, and it has 80k on it. I need to run a car fax if anyone here has that ability.

I have always had the 2.4's so my question is, again, is there anything in particular that anyone knows about this vintage that I should watch out for? Headgasket problems? Driveline problems? Shortlived engines?

What about maintenance schedule. Will this thing need a new timing chain soon? Or does it have a belt? My manual only goes through 97, so I am in the dark here.

Anyone?

#5 ·
the 3.3L frontier engines have a Timing Belt. The 2.4L engines have timing chains.
same as with the ka24e motors. . . the 6cyl 3.0's have the belts and the 4cyl 2.4's have the chain.

I would have to agree with smikster, 2k is alot of dough.

#7 ·
Thank you both for your input. I'm not sure I know what you mean by 2k is a lot of dough. 2k for what?

I've done a bit of research since yesterday. Yup it's a belt. It has a 105k maintenance schedule, so 25k miles out. For us, that is about two years. It will cost about $850 for that job including water pump and all front seals.

So far, everything else on the truck looks very good. I am having a mechanic check it better on Monday. I am thinking about offering either 9k and they do a full tune up and replace all the tranny and diff fluids, or full price with the above plus the t-belt job.

In checking IN MY AREA, I am not sure the price is way out of line. 4WD trucks, and Subaru cars both hold a really high value around here. People from other parts of the country always say we are getting ripped off, but it seems to be the market in Colorado. I am certainly open to any input on price, but I won't be able to get it for what someone in California, or the mid-west could.

Thanks again.

#8 ·
sorry, 2k was a typo. . . meant to say 10k. I guess your right about different prices in different places of the U.S. You can definitely get the guy to come down on the price. They usually add 1k or 2 to the asking price expecting people to get them to come down on the price.

#9 ·
All i know is that in this economy, it's definitely a buyers market. I think a $9,000 offer is too high. Make a low ball offer! If they don't laugh at your first offer, then it's too high. Arm yourself with blue book values and competitive prices at nearby dealers as well as craigslist, ebay etc. You run the show!

#11 ·
I live in MA, and you can get a Frontier with that many miles and that year for 6800-7500 around here, so thats way to high of a price

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.