Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, heres my problem. I have myself a 1.6 auto. And I basically want to know what i should do with it, I've done the exahust, CAI, and header bolt-ons. What should i do next? I mean, should i just swap the ol' 1.6 for the SR20? Turbo the 1.6? Nitrus? I dunno, lol. I mean the engine is in great shape, never had problems, and is tuned once a year with oil changes every 2 months with stock filter and semi-synth mobil.

Now, about the auto, the tranny slips from 1st to 2nd, it thumps the car a bit then gets into 2nd. So the swap for the sr20 is an okay option to fix that, and there is also the much needed auto-to-manual swap.

In any case i am at a loss. I dont know where to go with this.

If you'd like to see what is to be worked with, u can check member rides, or my car domain is:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/hellfiretv

·
Registered
258 Posts
well since your engine seems to be in good shape, you could do more stuff. get an unorthodox crank pulley,advance timing, sr20 throttle body,maybe ecu upgrade (jwt ecu or apexi s-afc),jwt cams,try tighten the throttle cable for response,etc for all motor. putting nitrious is good for the price since you got a header. now for the tranny, its up to you. switching to a manual will be alot of work. as for for the auto tranny, get a fluid change, tune up your valve body,and shift linkage. youll be fine with this set-up.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
tony200 said:
well since your engine seems to be in good shape, you could do more stuff. get an unorthodox crank pulley,advance timing, sr20 throttle body,maybe ecu upgrade (jwt ecu or apexi s-afc),jwt cams,try tighten the throttle cable for response,etc for all motor. putting nitrious is good for the price since you got a header. now for the tranny, its up to you. switching to a manual will be alot of work. as for for the auto tranny, get a fluid change, tune up your valve body,and shift linkage. youll be fine with this set-up.
Personally it depends on your budget. I'd swap in a used GA16 manual tranny and continue to mod the GA16.

And Tony please stop posting the SR20TB swap as it is NOT something that is easily done, nor has it been completed yet for that matter.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
tony200 said:
Where do you come up with this stuff?

The Unorthodox pulley is worth about 3WHP, and you need new, different size belts.

If you advance the timing past the factory recommended max, you need to run on premium gas.

The SR20 throttle body is not a bolt-on modification, and doesn't do any good until you go beyond bolt-on modifications to nitrous or forced induction.

The ECU upgrade from JWT is plug-and-play. The others are not, and if you don't know what you are doing, you can damage the engine.

Cams yield more power at high rpms and less at low rpms. With an automatic transmission, the acceleration from a stand-still to 30mph is worse with cams.

Tightening the throttle cable is not a modification, but is routine maintenance. You get no more power out of it.

Having a header has nothing to do with whether to get nitrous or not. A header is a modification which increases power regardless of what other mods the engine has.

As for the automatic transmission:

A fluid change is a good idea. It cures many problems.

The valve body is not tunable. It can be modified to make the shifts more positive, but you must disassemble the trans to get it out and send it to a shop which specializes in this.

As long as the shift linkage is working, there is nothing to do to it.

If you decide to swap a SR20DE, you will need the SR20 transmission, too.

Lew

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. So basically it's not worth doing a SR20 swap. Lets say i do go nirtus, being that its the cheaper of the two. the other being a turbo. hehe

what else should i upgrade when moving up to a nitrus kit, and which would be best for the GA16?

Thanks for ur time

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
I personally felt any engine mods to my auto ga were wasted money. I dont have any helpful advice for you in that case. You can spend a lot of money and it still wont really be "fast." I dont see the point of nitrous if you dont race a lot, IMO its not useful for everyday driving, and its like $30 a month to refill the bottle if you use it a lot. And as far as turbo, that route is very expensive, and with the auto, I dont know how long or how much power you can make. For that money, I would personally go the sr20det route.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Depends on what you want... Do you want to keep your car, if yes, for how long? If you plan on keeping it for a long time, swap the engine, it'll take time, but down the road you can turbo that sucker up higher than your GA16. If you plan on keeping it a while, just put bolt-ons. Else ,save up some cash and get a SR20 powered car.

Been battling the same issue myself for a couple of months, will start a second job soon, so my SR20 swap will start earlier than suspected. And a engine hunt will start.

----
edit: I'm new but I've read that you can still get a lot of HP out your GA16 with proper tubo'ing.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
I've got a plan for my slow little auto GA16DE.

Since I won't be racing (it'll be a weekend backroads/daily driver), I'm definitely not going to do a swap. Conversion to a manual? Maybe..

All full bolt ons, maybe some engine goodies like cams, but extrude honing will definitely be on the list right after the bolt ons.

People are swapping their GA16DE's for SR20DE's and stuff like that, but most of them won't even race. For me, I just want to make my GA16DE a quick little engine, not a full blown racing powerhouse.

Who knows though, I might suddenly develop a desire for an SR20DE. :)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
HellFire said:
Thanks guys. So basically it's not worth doing a SR20 swap. Lets say i do go nirtus, being that its the cheaper of the two. the other being a turbo. hehe

what else should i upgrade when moving up to a nitrus kit, and which would be best for the GA16?

Thanks for ur time
The auto trans will not last long on nitrous. The clutches will burn out. My turbo car burned up the clutches in 18 months of mostly street driving. With yours slipping already, it will happen sooner than that.

Lew

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I do have a fair share of miles on the engine. What am I looking at if i would like to do the ga16 to sr20 swap? What would i have to change exept for ecu, main harness, engine/tranny?

·
I want my B14!!!!
187 Posts
HellFire said:
Well, I do have a fair share of miles on the engine. What am I looking at if i would like to do the ga16 to sr20 swap? What would i have to change exept for ecu, main harness, engine/tranny?
Welcome to your new Moneypit

All the information you will need.

You're looking at roughly a 25HP increase with the regular DE. The DET/VE- its gonna be a world of difference.

As far as prices- prepare for a hurt pocket regardless (unless you do the work yourself)

·
Registered
258 Posts
well i did the sr20 tb swap and was fine. all i did was port out the the intake manifold to make it match. with the tighten of the throttle cable,I DIDNT SAY IT INCREASE HP,it only improves throttle response and its not a routine maintence thing. with the pulleys, acoarse you have to put new belts (duh). also i didnt say that the apexi s-afc is plug and play. ISHADOFF, you need to read what i posted carefully and for your information i know my stuff very well.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
tony200 said:
well i did the sr20 tb swap and was fine. all i did was port out the the intake manifold to make it match. with the tighten of the throttle cable,I DIDNT SAY IT INCREASE HP,it only improves throttle response and its not a routine maintence thing. with the pulleys, acoarse you have to put new belts (duh). also i didnt say that the apexi s-afc is plug and play. ISHADOFF, you need to read what i posted carefully and for your information i know my stuff very well.
You have a GA16 200SX and you did the SE-R TB swap? I would like to see pics of this ASAP please....

·
Registered
258 Posts
well i dont have a scanner to post it up at this moment. but when i do ill for sure post pics ( not on installation)

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
lshadoff said:
Where do you come up with this stuff?

The Unorthodox pulley is worth about 3WHP, and you need new, different size belts.

If you advance the timing past the factory recommended max, you need to run on premium gas.

The SR20 throttle body is not a bolt-on modification, and doesn't do any good until you go beyond bolt-on modifications to nitrous or forced induction.

The ECU upgrade from JWT is plug-and-play. The others are not, and if you don't know what you are doing, you can damage the engine.

Cams yield more power at high rpms and less at low rpms. With an automatic transmission, the acceleration from a stand-still to 30mph is worse with cams.

Tightening the throttle cable is not a modification, but is routine maintenance. You get no more power out of it.

Having a header has nothing to do with whether to get nitrous or not. A header is a modification which increases power regardless of what other mods the engine has.

As for the automatic transmission:

A fluid change is a good idea. It cures many problems.

The valve body is not tunable. It can be modified to make the shifts more positive, but you must disassemble the trans to get it out and send it to a shop which specializes in this.

As long as the shift linkage is working, there is nothing to do to it.

If you decide to swap a SR20DE, you will need the SR20 transmission, too.

Lew
The SR20 TB is a good mod and will gain a few more hp. Unlike the SR, the GA can benifit from a larger throttle.

·
Registered
258 Posts
agree. but mostly the throttle will increase throttle response mostly than hp. you just have to do a littile work to it. youll feel a difference. it would most work best with ported intake manifold,ported head and cams or maybe turbo/nitrious.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
tony200 said:
agree. but mostly the throttle will increase throttle response mostly than hp. you just have to do a littile work to it. youll feel a difference. it would most work best with ported intake manifold,ported head and cams or maybe turbo/nitrious.
Right but I still wanna see pics. and you haven't answered my questions about how you worked around the IACV and FICD?

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
tony200 said:
check dyno chart on sentra.net, unlike the sr, this works on a ga.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts