Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas prices on the rise, people stealing fuel from cars is on the rise as well... The one thing that I cant believe that Nissan didn't have on the pathfinder, was a locking fuel door. So this made me thinking about possible adding one ( not a big fan of the key locking fuel cap... I have a habit of loosing keys!)

Some ideas I had...
- Has to be mechanical. ( No electrical near gas fumes!)

- possible servo connected with a steal wire to a latch on the door? this way a simple push button inside the cab can open the latch.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm, my 02 has a locking gas door, with the release down by the drivers seat. Maybe you could coble up something that works using existing parts. Good excuse for JY excursion anyway.....

·
3,553 Posts
Locking gas doors open with a flat screwdriver in about two seconds flat. Locking gas caps open in a few seconds with a 99 cent pocketknife. I used to work at an auto parts store and I tried all the Stant locking caps, every single one opened within ten seconds with a jiggle of the pocketknife.

From what I've seen, there's also an inversion check-valve in the fuel filler setup (in case of a rollover accident, so fuel doesn't drain out) so you can't stick a hose down the tube and just suck gas out anymore.

What you should worry about nowadays is people with a cordless drill simply drilling your tank and draining it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts