Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Rear key cylinder doesn't open at all (when you try to use key)
-A pillar rots near bottom
-Ebrake cables snapped
-Caliper slide pin seized

Are these common problems? Easy ways to fix them? (except A pillar problem)

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
that car was driven hard dude. the only way to break an ebrake cable is by drifting. and my guess is that the pin was seized from heat buildup or similar.

if you can break the pin loose, you can just put some lube in there to keep it free. valvoline makes a nice general purpose grease that is approved for brakes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the car for free off a middle aged guy who only drove it to work and back.

Also the tranny "bumps" when shifting from 1-2 (automatic 245,000 Km)

I've learned to minimize the bump by "feeling" the shifts and adjusting throttle accordingly. So far, so good. I have CAA just in case it decides to break a band or something...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jed118 said:
-Rear key cylinder doesn't open at all (when you try to use key)
Hey dude. Try fiddling with the metal gate the boot hooks into to lock. It can be pushed down like a child saftey door type thing; just pull it up, it should go click, and it should be all good.

See if that helps

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
OK Time for some correct info.

Rear lock cylinder doesn't work. Does this car have a spoiler? A lot of times with a spoiler, the center pillar will break and water will get to the lock. it will sieze up and not move. Open your trunk, remove the lock cylinder and clean it. Make sure it works, reinstall it and all will be good.
The rear "gate" that chunk is talking about is for a security lockout and has nothing to do with not being able to turn the lock cylinder. It will prevent the trunk from being opened from the inside so do not move it if you can't use your key.

Your brake cables have snapped. This is NOT, NOT, an indication of a hard life. Your car is 13 years old. Things get brittle and rust. You can replace the cables. Nissan still sells them. I've replaced both of mine already so anyone that tells you it's because of drifting and your car's been beat on is dumb.

Your pillar rusting is the only thing I'd start be really keep a close eye on. The B13's are notorious for pillar rust. How bad is it? do you have any pictures? Usually once it starts, there isn't a lot you can do. I'd say if it's just surface rust, sand it all down to the bare sheet metal and repaint it. If it's gone further then just surface rust then your going to just have to keep an eye on it. You could take it to a place that does a "liquid metal" repair but it's only going to be temporary and will eventually eat your pillar up. It could take a while to do but it's a B13 inevitability.

The caliper pin. Front or rear?
The Fronts have rubber boots that surround the pin. If you ever have a brake fluid leak then chances are the rubber has expanded and has locked the pin. You can get replacment parts for your calipers from Nissan.

If it's the rear then I'd just say replace the caliper. get an aftermarket Caliper but before you install it do MUST do one thing. There is a small metal shim-like piece on the e-brake pivot. YOU NEED TO SAVE THIS PIECE! It's a 30 cent piece that will cost you 280 dollars to get. Remove it from your old caliper and reinstall it on your new one. If you don't, your rear brakes will start to sieze up because the e-brake will catch.

For both front and rear there is a product in a silver container called Anti-sieze. It's a NAPA product and it will not cause your rubber slide bushing to expand. Use it lightly and don't let it touch the caliper bolt threads. Do not use grease.

See what condition your tranny fluid is in. I'd replace it just to make sure you know what you've got in there and how old it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My ebrake cable is broken as well. One of those things i've been meaning to fix, but havnt gotten around to it. Let me know how yours goes, and where you get the part, and how much it costs and all that. I've never drifted (nor do i know how you'd drift in a front wheel car drive), and like the above post says, its a 13 year old car. These things happen. Stuff wears out.

About the pillar rust, I had some on the inside of my car, and I noticed that there was a hole in the sealing on the roof. This also led to the trunk leaking and decomposing a lot of stuff. One of the things that it ruined was the trunk opener ciruit. Might wanna check to see if these problems are interlaced like they were for me.

thats all!

-Bob

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
There are 3 pieces from the handle to the rear caliper.

There's a wire that attaches to the handle. It's adjustable. On the rear of this cable there is a piece that the other two cables attach to. the only thing that makes replacing these cables touch to replace is that you have to remove your exhaust insulation to get to the bolts that hold them in place.

If you have a hoist it takes about an hour. if your on the ground it could take longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts