Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping some of you guys know something about Linux, 'cause I really don't want to go over to one of those sites where they tell jokes like "Why did the SCSI controller cross the road?" Anyway...

I'm setting up one of my computers (a Gateway machine, 800MHz Athlon, 128 RAM, 14.3GB and 100GB HDs, Riva TNT2, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, 3Com 10/100 Ethernet, and one of those gnarly optical mice) and I'm trying to load Redhat Linux 7.3 on it, but I'm running into an error. Whenever I start the installer (press Enter at boot: ) it gets about halfway into loading initrd.img and then gives me an error:
"Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue"

Whether I change disks or not, the system just hangs at this screen. I know all three CDs are good because I installed Linux once before on this system. Both hard drives have been formatted and I used FDISK to remove the partition information from them.

What's wrong with my computer :( ?

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I finally got it all fixed. A friend of mine who is the Linux god gave me a different CD. Turns out my copy was on its last legs when I installed it last time. Nonetheless, I'm up and running with Linux 7.3 and it rocks!

·
Driver
736 Posts
So what's the difference between linux and windows(no need for a long explanation, just the main difference, besides that it crashes less)?

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Linux is better for five reasons.

First, it's Unix-based. Unix is an operating system that has been around for years and years running high-powered servers and number-crunchers. It's very powerful and extremely fast, but difficult to use. Then Linux came along and added a nice pretty interface to Unix called the X-windowing system - basically like Windows, but a little prettier.

Second, Linux is Open-Source. What this means is the source code is available to anyone and everyone to play around with. When a bug comes up, you're more than welcome to screw around with the software and try to fix it. In fact, it's encouraged.

Third, Linux is extremely secure. It has built-in firewalls and protections that keep malicious users from hacking in and messing things up. Also, Linux will only let you mess things up if you have the right password, so you, or your girlfriend can't break anything unless you want to.

Fourth, Linux has a different, more stable file system. It's hard to describe, but basically it treats all drives and devices (CD, printer, etc.) as one big hard disk. It's very easy to navigate and very powerful.

Fifth, Linux is free. Yes, that's right, FREE! You can pay for CDs and manuals if you like, or you can just download the CDs from a number of sites. A lot of software is free too, like the GIMP (a copy of Adobe Photoshop 6.0) and OpenOffice (basically Microsoft Office). Linux can even run many Windows programs and games with a kernel emulator called Wine.

I know that was kinda long, but Linux is absolutely and completely cool.

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be sure to check it out - I recommend the Red Hat distribution. It's easy to work with and readily available from www.redhat.com . The download is free, but it takes forever and a day, or the boxed set of Red Hat Linux 7.3 Personal Edition is $60. Definately a good alternative to Microsoft and Apple. I recommend that if you get Linux you check out a book called Linux Complete. It's full of good information about how the Linux operating system works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts