Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 sentra recently replaced alt and battery, I'm running about 600 watts from stereo and lights dim when bass hits, but I noticed even when stereo isn't on , if I turn the heat or headlights on the lights will dim slightly, I upgraded the cable from the alt to the battery with a pc of 4 gauge haven't down the other 2 wire upgrades yet. The battery is a larger group 24 and terminals and posts are clean. Is this rebuilt alt just a pc of crap or what? Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
is it a stock alt? cus the alt is what runs the car , the battery is used for the starter and thats it unless your listening to music with the car off which u know is a bad idea with a system

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stock replacement alternator, never listen to stereo with car off

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
only thing i can think of is... the contacts to your new thicker groudn wires arent too good which kills the point of havin thicker wire. or the replacement just isnt cutting it , is there a possible upgrade to a stronger alt?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
never forget that a stock alternator drive only about 60amp... regulator dictates that any draw make it dim a bit before i can regulate it back to 13.5 volt. it is normal. As long as it keep bouncing back to 13volt + your ok... (on idle) with fan at max, radio kicking hard and the foot on the brakes, it should be down to 12.5 volts. If you get to much worried about it, get an upgraded alternator (80amp or more)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know but the question was concerning the lights dimming WITHOUT the stereo on

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
ahardb0dy said:
I know but the question was concerning the lights dimming WITHOUT the stereo on
well, i didn't have an answer for that, so figured I'd tell you something you already knew :D I'd agree with others though that you shoudl find a bigger alternator. Do an alternator test to find out how much amperage you're putting out....if it's right at 60 then you know you got problems....but lets for example say its 50 amps....then try to find an 80 or 100 amp alternator. If you're running high amps all the time out of your alternator then its taking more engine power to turn it, decreasing the life of the alternator dramatically, and obviously leaving parts of the electrical system in the dark (no pun intended)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I have to stop at this local alternator shop one day and see if they can increase the output of the stock alternator, the other option I was thinking of was just using a factory alternator from another nissan, that is if it would mount the same/fit and plug in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts