Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems with their lightened flywheel after installation. What about a oem flywheel that has been lightened, has anybody had any problems with that after installation because someone told me the pressure plate may have to work harder in order to turn the flywheel because it is so thin? Sobody help me out here!!

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Don't trim the OEM flywheel, the material in the OEM is inconsistent and if you shave it down too much, thet hing could split apart and you could have shrapnel flying through your car, it's just not safe. Get an aftermarket flywheel, it'll be much safer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I do not know about the pressure plate but it has been agreed that the stock flywheel can be lightened a certain amount. Key words certain amount. Not disagreeing about the inconsistent material because that is true but most people who do have experience with lightened flywheels agree that you could remove 1/3 of the weight. I know the GA16's flywheel weighs 18 lbs. so you should be able to go to 12 lbs. Sorry I can't help with the original question.

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
11 pounds (ga16)
Dozens cut and balanced without trouble
Don't take any material from the center section

·
Registered
435 Posts
bling said:
Has anyone had any problems with their lightened flywheel after installation. What about a oem flywheel that has been lightened, has anybody had any problems with that after installation because someone told me the pressure plate may have to work harder in order to turn the flywheel because it is so thin? Sobody help me out here!!
After rereading the original post what kind of problems are you asking about. If just general then not really. Some SR20s got a CEL because of the material used in early aftermarket flywheels but there are alot of people running them with no problem. I here it takes a day or two to get used to the engine wanting to stall upon engagement but otherwise you should have no fear.

·
Registered
155 Posts
sfhellwig said:
After rereading the original post what kind of problems are you asking about. If just general then not really. Some SR20s got a CEL because of the material used in early aftermarket flywheels but there are alot of people running them with no problem. I here it takes a day or two to get used to the engine wanting to stall upon engagement but otherwise you should have no fear.
Yah, for racing purposes make sure your close ratio or your revs will fall too quickly between shifts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts