Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whoever engineered the spark plug locations on the VG33ER, tell me where I can find him so I can chop his #@#@! nuts off.

This is the sorriest excuse for the most ridiculous engineering on the planet. Come on do we really need nineteen freaking brackets for every single engine component?!?! You lousy @$#^[email protected]!#%[email protected]!!!! Nissan can have their lousy, gas sucking, gutless POS of a supercharged engine, I wouldn't wish this spark plug replacement on my worst enemy.

Now that I've vented, can someone tell me how in god's name it is possible to get that stinkin #4 (middle drivers side) plug off?

I've pulled the whole intake assembly off and now it appears that there is not enough clearance between the valve cover and the spark plug for the socket to drop down into. It's like a need a super-duper thin wall socket, but mine looks pretty darn thin.

Any suggestions? Good lord Nissan, get a clue. Sorry for the rant, but any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I found the problem...

Some of the porcelain on the plug had broken off and wedged in between the valve cover and plug. So I finally got that plug done and replaced... Probably dropped a nice chunk of ceramic or two into the combustion chamber, but alas I've washed my hands of this dreaded plug replacement.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Many times an engine is installed in a vehicle not designed for it. A classic example is the installation of a Chevy small block in the Vega derived Monza. The Monza was originally designed for a rotary (Wankel) engine. When GM cancelled the rotary they decided to install a V-8 for power. To get to one of the back spark plugs on that engine you had to either lift the engine or drill a hile in the fender well for access. Other "classics" for spark plug access are the 440 powered Chrysler intermediates and the 390 powered Ford Fairlanes.

The VG33 was not installed in the Frontier until 1999. My bet is that the Frontier was primarily designed for the 4 cylinder engine (it was the only engine available in 1998 and is probably, in part, a legacy design from the Hardbody). The VG33 was shoehorned in as the Frontier got heavier (e.g. crew cab). Remember, Nissan just builds them; it's your problem or your dollar to fix them.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts