Nissan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
While some of your rant may be true, that is, I'm sure MotoRex makes enough to cover its bills and then a little extra, I think you've been listening to some jealous people who've tried to do the same sort of thing and failed. MotoRex has a deal with Nissan not the US Gov. Not to mention, it would cost them quite a bit to crash test 5 of each generation skyline in order to verify for the DOT that they do meet standards. Plus, Japan doesn't have emissions standards, at least that we'd recognize, so adding all the green standards we have here would cost a bit too. So your cost of $6500 is a bit ridiculous. Also, check around. Look at other companies that do the same sort of thing OUTSIDE the Us. ProSpec for instance in the UK. Their prices are right on with MotoRex's. And where you got that a 1998 R34 would be $12K I don't know either. Hell, here, a 1993 RX7 can still cost you more than that. While it's true that the cost of a Skyline in Japan is far less than it is here, it's also true that by the time it passes through tariffs and taxes and transport by sea that there's quite a bit of money that has to be tacked on JUST to break even let alone make any sort of profit. I'd bet MotoRex makes a good $10K or so on the cars, but, then, they do a lot of work to them, besides, if they were $10K here, every Honda riceboy would be driving one, and I'm sure none of us want to see an R34 done like that. Hell, I just shudder at the mere thought of one with primer spots and black plastic hoods that are modeled to have that 'carbon fiber look' and 8foot unpainted aluminum tri-plane wings on the broken trunk.. *shudder*

· Registered
21 Posts
ekb18c5 said:
. As for u not wanting to see them "riced out" why do u hate on people for their own style? Im pretty sure a couple of years ago u guys were all into whut u call rice now also. just because all this jdm hype is coming up does not mean u have the right to hate. U can have your own opinions but keep em to yourself. Im pretty sure when this jdm hype blows over them youll move on to .........i dunno.......kdm(as in the koreans such as kias, ang etc.)
Hate? I don't hate. And I don't hate style. JDM is one thing, putting $900+ into an oversized aluminum wing with no proven aerodynamic value what so ever when their car is falling apart with rust holes and they have a loud exhaust sound because they need a new system not because they have a performance pipe.. That's something else. As for rice, I personally never was. I don't believe in advertising all the performance parts I've got on my car. The car's performance is advertising enough. Everyone's free to have their own style, don't get me wrong. I just think there's a certain unwritten code that goes along with owning something like a Skyline. You own one, you're 'cursed' so to speak. You've just gotten yourself a very high maintenance 'girl friend' so to speak. It'd be like dating a super model. You think she looks that good using Dollar Store cosmetics and clothing? No. Same goes for the Skyline. Whereas in this case we're talking about performance rather than pure appearance, the point's still the same.

Also, I don't hate by any means. Dislike some 'trends' that are prevalent locally? Yes. Hate? No. It's all good in the end, JDM, ADM, EDM, so on and so forth. Either way, it all boils down to this: MotoRex is the only source at the moment for legally registered Skylines. If you don't think their price is fair, then exercise your right as a consumer and don't buy. You can always, (at least as far as I'm aware), still buy the car, import it via MotoRex or some other legal method, and then register it 'Show Only' which means you can drive it ~2500 miles/year or so while leaving it JDM stock.

Also, I'm not claiming you're bashing MotoRex. I agree that for the price they charge for even R32's, that we, as consumers of their products, have a right to ask questions and have them honestly answered. I have seen more than a few people try and ask a simple question regarding MotoRex and their price only to be told to go elsewhere if they were going to bash.. Well, asking if there's alternatives isn't bashing. It's simply looking for an alternative. Let's face it, even if you have a billion dollars in your wallet, $95K is still a lot of money..:eek:

· Registered
21 Posts
The cost of the add on doesn't make it wrong, the point was that they put more money into things like that than making sure the car was solid to begin with. A rusty trunk lid is not going to support that wing for long.. And what's the point of having some spiffy chrome wheels if the rust strips hanging out from under your fenders are about to slit your Kuhmos?

As for the girl reference, wasn't about 'cost' again. The simple fact is, we all know you get what you pay for. You think someone making a living off their looks the way a super model does would risk their skin to less than the best cosmetics? Same for a skyline, are you going to use less than the best hardware on it? But you're right, if it floats your boat, go for it. *shrug*

The last thing, if $95K is nothing to a millionaire or billionaire, go ask one for half that much. Bet they tell you to kiss off.. If it WEREN'T something to them, they'd hand it over without thinking wouldn't they? Yes, they may pay quite a bit for their houses and cars, but I bet you, none of them paid more than original sticker price for a Skyline..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.