Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going camping this weekend and will by using my 2006 Pathy as a "tent." With all of the seats down, it easily holds a twin size infatable mattress so it will be perfect. Thing is, I will be camping in Florida where it's quite hot and there are lots of mosquitoes, so I don't want to leave the windows down. I think I'm going to let the car idle all night so that I can use the A/C. Anyone ever done this? How much gas do you think I'll use over 8 hours of idling?

·
3,553 Posts
You might be surprised, heh.

·
Registered
310 Posts
you should never sleep in an idling vehicle.....

go to a fabric store and get some thin gauze and put it over the open window and close the doors...it should seal off the interior....

or...Nissan sells a tent specifically for the Pathy.... click here

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm going camping this weekend and will by using my 2006 Pathy as a "tent." With all of the seats down, it easily holds a twin size infatable mattress so it will be perfect. Thing is, I will be camping in Florida where it's quite hot and there are lots of mosquitoes, so I don't want to leave the windows down. I think I'm going to let the car idle all night so that I can use the A/C. Anyone ever done this? How much gas do you think I'll use over 8 hours of idling?
I'd get some tape and fly screen to cover the windows. Cut out the screen and tape it to the metal. That way, you can open and close the windows without problems.

This way will save you a LOT of money on gas and your life won't be at risk. LOL

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had read somewhere before that someone made something like Cali was talking about. They got mosquito netting and sewed magnets around the edges to cover the windows of an xterra, which is the same concept. Then get a little battery operated fan to blow over your head to keep you a little cooler. Works for me.

Just found this Magna Screen - The SUV Camping Tent Alternative

·
Registered
18 Posts
Who runs an AC while camping? :crazy:

Anyway, you're better just sleeping in a tent, get a generator and run a portable AC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
sounds like camping is not your thing..

but seriously. why on earth would you even consider this? Not only could it ruin your truck (overheat?), but you may not wake up

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can't sleep in a running vehicle you will get carbon monoxide poisioning. Plus it would take the fun out of camping. If its too hot outside just go to a hotel, or don't go camping at all. my two cents.

·
Registered
165 Posts
jst FYI you can't get carbon monoxide poisoning by sleeping in a running vehicle. If said vehicle is parked in a garage, or a storage shed, then yes. Or if you run a hose from the exhaust to the interior, then yes. In the great outdoors with the windows closed...NO. The only possibly way it could happen then is if you had a hole in your floorboards and a hole in the exhaust at the same spot. The issue with letting any vehicle idle for extended periods of time is carbon buildup on your internals. The engine does not get hot enough to burnt he carbon deposits off. This is partly why having a highway run vehicle is preferrable to a city driven vehicle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would estimate that running your Pathfinder for approx 8 hrs would cost you at least a 1/4 tank.

Not to mention, your keys will be in the ignition and could pose a theft risk to anyone in the area. Yes, you are sleeping in it, but sleeping in a running car just doesn't sound appealing to me, especially if you need to have the windows down for airflow. Bug netting won't stop a person.

I think you are better off getting a stand alone tent, foam pads, air mattress, and a 12v air pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
True if the vehicle is in a garage the PPM of CO are going to be greater. But also prolonged exposure to low amounts of CO can cause death. Just cause your vehicle doesn't have a broken exhaust or damaged floor boards doesn't mean CO can't get in. All combustion engine vehicles produce CO not soap bubbles. It is just not recommended.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts