Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new here but I have a problem I need help with. I have a 1995 Pathfinder and fuel is leaking from above the right rear wheel. Is there a filter back there? Or do I have to replace fuel line. I know I can't just cut the metal line and put rubber line in. If it is the fuel line, can I get replacement line? I have a million questions so I'll just end it here and see what you guys think. Thanks
killa :cheers:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had a similar issue with the lines on our '92 Pathy this last summer. There are 3 rigid fuel lines running from the fuel tank to the engine bay. They are mounted along the inside face of the passenger side frame rail (overtop of the axle). One of our lines had rusted through right at one of the mounting brackets. Enough of a leak to leave a visible wet spot on the frame and an obvious fuel smell. I looked into replacing the rigid lines, but the dealer wanted too many $$$. So, I decided to use a piece of rubber hose as a splice. Here's how it went...

Once I determined which line was the bad one, I cut the line in front of the rear axle and installed a piece of rubber fuel hose (for fuel injected engines - strong) and fastened with a hose clamp - see Photo 1.

Then I led the hose over the axle tube to the back making sure it wouldn't be pinched anywhere along the way. It actually goes up and over the top bracket of the rear coil spring - see Photo 2.

I used a short piece of the original rigid fuel line as a transition between the new rubber hose and the existing one going to the top of the fuel tank. This took 2 more hose clamps - see Photo Photo 3.

So as you can see, it worked out well. I haven't had any issues with using a rubber line instead of a rigid metal line. I think as long as it is actual fuel hose, rated for pressure, and it is carefully routed, all should be fine.

Good luck with yours...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loos Good.

Thanks Zilverado. I didn't have a chance to get a good look at the leak, and I'm glad to find a place with people willing to share repair ideas in such detail (nice pics :thumbup: ). Now how about them three lines, supply return, and vapor? And, why is it when I take my gas cap off it's under pressure? Is this normal for the Pathy. Nuff said about that. Thanks again Z :cheers: .
On a completely different subject, I installed a Borla Cat Back Exaust on my Pathfinder and when they say it bolts right up they mean it. It took about an hour with replacing the rubber hangers and removing the bolts from the converter. Great design work, great sound. Hope the fuel line repair goes as well.
Cool Site Guys!!
killa :cool:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm glad the description and photos helped. As far as what the 3 lines go, I understand supply and return, but I'm not sure about the 3rd one. As far as pressure at the gas cap, I experience it too, so I assume a certain amount is normal. And speaking of pressure in the lines - - before disconnecting any fuel lines, remove the gas cap to relieve the pressure in the tank and lines. I forgot to do this and ended up with a bunch of fuel on the driveway, before I could make it around the vehicle to pop the gas hatch, and then back around to open the cap. Just a little helpfull advice...

One last thing about the fuel lines. Since my fuel leak was right at the hanger (actually, the break was "inside" the hanger), it took a little while for me to make sure I had the right line before I cut it. By wiggling the rigid lines back and forth, I was able to feel which one was a little loose. When I applied a little more pressure, the line snapped off. Got the right one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Last year our '91 Pathfinder pulled this stunt. Spewing gas from a line above the rear wheel, leaving a solid trail of gas on the road. Resulted in a visit from the fire department (no fire, but tow truck drivers won't tow it with gas coming out.) If you find this going on, do as Zilverado did and release the tank pressure by opening the gas cap.

I siphoned all the gas out (saving $40), and the truck went on a dolly to the dealer. They had to ship the new lines from back east, which took days because the lines have to come west by truck because they're so long and can't be bent. And obviously Nissan doesn't stock them out here. The service people said they hadn't see this before.

I don't recall the cost, but it was $600-800, and the mechanics had a bad time installing the lines, again because of their length and they can't be bent. They also don't look as nice and neat as the originals.

I bit the bullet and had them all replaced because I didn't know what condition the remainder of them were in, and I didn't want to take shortcuts considering the risk of fire or being stranded somewhere in the backcountry.

Not long ago out here, a first gen. PF went out of control, flipped, hit a barrier while sliding backwards upside down, and burned up, including the driver. It's possible a marginal fuel line had something to do with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I finally got a chance to get under my Pathfinder and get a closer look at my leak. (I have no garage and we still had snow on the ground.) The leak was right where yours was Z and X-T. I fixed it like you said Z. I just added a piece of nioprine hose one size larger I slit up the belly to help fight aganst abrasion. I plan to replace all the lines (rear brake line too) with rigid after the weather breaks but, this will get me by untill then.
I was surprised to find rubber lines on the fuel system. I allways thought vehicles with fuel injection had lines under high pressure that you needed a special tool to remove.
Thanks again for your input guys,
killa :thumbup:

·
Registered
521 Posts
killabyte said:
...(I have no garage and we still had snow on the ground.) The leak was right where yours was Z and X-T. I fixed it like you said Z. I just added a piece of nioprine hose one size larger I slit up the belly to help fight aganst abrasion....
Glad to here it worked for you. Neat trick with the additional neoprene hose. I didn't quite catch it the first time I read it, but then it made sense - - good idea.

As far as the "no garage...snow on the ground" goes, I can totally relate. We moved into a newer home last winter and the small attached garage is still full of stuff, not to mention all my tools. The large unattached garage/workshop is in the plans and may possibly be built this summer, but until then, I feel for you, my brother with wet pants and cold hands... :cheers: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue with the lines on our '92 Pathy this last summer. There are 3 rigid fuel lines running from the fuel tank to the engine bay. They are mounted along the inside face of the passenger side frame rail (overtop of the axle). One of our lines had rusted through right at one of the mounting brackets. Enough of a leak to leave a visible wet spot on the frame and an obvious fuel smell. I looked into replacing the rigid lines, but the dealer wanted too many $$$. So, I decided to use a piece of rubber hose as a splice. Here's how it went...

Once I determined which line was the bad one, I cut the line in front of the rear axle and installed a piece of rubber fuel hose (for fuel injected engines - strong) and fastened with a hose clamp - see Photo 1.

Then I led the hose over the axle tube to the back making sure it wouldn't be pinched anywhere along the way. It actually goes up and over the top bracket of the rear coil spring - see Photo 2.

I used a short piece of the original rigid fuel line as a transition between the new rubber hose and the existing one going to the top of the fuel tank. This took 2 more hose clamps - see Photo Photo 3.

So as you can see, it worked out well. I haven't had any issues with using a rubber line instead of a rigid metal line. I think as long as it is actual fuel hose, rated for pressure, and it is carefully routed, all should be fine.

Good luck with yours...
Hello i have a similar issue with the only difference being the lines are damaged in the front under the passenger wheel and not the rear. I want to do the same thing you did. Is it possible in the front too? And what diameter hose did you use?

1 - 8 of 7 Posts