Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I fill my tank to the top and go around a bend fuel spills out from the cap onto the body work. The previous owner told me about this and said it was to do with no baffle in the tank. Does anyone else have this problem? or should I be buying a new cap???

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Yes, buy a new cap, for one. A properly sealing cap should not allow this to happen. This indicates that there are also vapors escaping from the tank. There goes your gas......

For two, don't fill your gas up to the top. Doing this consistently can cause damage to the fuel vapor control system and flood the charcoal canister. Try guaging how much gas you think it will take and turn it off a couple gallons before full. It may take a few times of trial and error to figure it out....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Yes, buy a new cap, for one. A properly sealing cap should not allow this to happen. This indicates that there are also vapors escaping from the tank. There goes your gas......

For two, don't fill your gas up to the top. Doing this consistently can cause damage to the fuel vapor control system and flood the charcoal canister. Try guaging how much gas you think it will take and turn it off a couple gallons before full. It may take a few times of trial and error to figure it out....
Yeah that prety mush confirms what i though, just mean i carnt check the economy when i refill, but thats good enough if i can stop the spills.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
I didn't notice that you were in Australia. I don't know if any of that emissions equipment would even be on there, then. Still, the cap should seal properly, seems like that might be a problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out a compliancing problem means that there is a back pressure vale needed on the filler neck. When there done cheaply they use sillicone and it degrades from the fuel then leaks, bout $130 to fix with a proper epoxy. Don't know if ill obhter or just stop filling it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts