Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1994 4x4 Extended Cab HB with a KA24E. The truck has 170k on it currently with a 5speed manual transmission.

This is the only vehicle (other than an airport dump truck) that i've driven with a manual transmission. I realize the truck is heavy and only a 4cyl but it still feels like it's very difficult to get moving from a full stop. I'm completely paranoid about burning up the clutch! The truck is also very difficult to drive on the highway. I have to really floor it to maintain 65mph.

I've tested for brake drag (the front wheels have some resistance but it doesn't seem out of the ordinary) and the rear wheels seem fine.

The only other out of the ordinary thing is the tires. It has 31x10.5x15 tires on it which are "acceptable" by Nissan but the stock tires are 235-75-R15s.

My question is this...how much of a difference (if any) will 235 tires make on the launch from a full stop?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
A wheel will only change with the profile of tyres. Width will only give you more or less traction, and more or less sway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dude those tires are massive for that truck. there is a tremendous inertia that you have to overcome. Try taking off one of those wheels and comparing them side by side with a stock wheel. You will see just how much heavier they are.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't know what the deal is with people who put these huge tires on a little 4 cylinder truck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude those tires are massive for that truck. there is a tremendous inertia that you have to overcome. Try taking off one of those wheels and comparing them side by side with a stock wheel. You will see just how much heavier they are.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't know what the deal is with people who put these huge tires on a little 4 cylinder truck.
I hear you. I'm looking to get the tires OFF. They came with the truck when i bought it. I just want a damn truck to go to home depot and back...I'm not off roading. :)

Anyway, I don't want to waste $500 on tires unless i have to. Do you guys really think that the 235's will make that much of an improvement in the truck's drivability?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Absolutely! And you shouldn't have to spend that much money on tires.... look around some more, especially in these times, there always a sale going on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
well i have a 95 with 31x10.50 on it 5sp 4cyl it does ok remember to the speedometer is off around 10% so if it says 65 it is really 72

1 - 6 of 6 Posts