Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
month ago it was almost the same - engine was knocking when loaded.

Changed upper chain and tensioner. Didn't have chance to get lower
chain changed - too much to deal with to get there. Problem persisted
and then we've figured out that it was bearings on the crankshaft -
they were terrible by that time. Changed bearings - rod and
main. Problem went away but I screwed timing by 1 tooth. Thanx God I
was wrong "in right side" so was driving for ~100 miles with wrong
timing and then we changed it to correct one - no noise at all -
everything was fine.

I've done long trip from NM to NJ (2100miles) and cause of the
previous collision I was running with 1 radiator fan missing and once
or twice engine got heated but I've mentioned that and stopped to give
it some rest.

After this trip knocking came back but it is different in the way that
it doesn't knock when engine is cold. Knocking appears on load when
engine is at its working temperature.

Question: Is that crankshaft bearings again? Could they go bad again
so fast? I would love to check them again cause anyway it is time to
change an oil but don't have a torque wrench to put them back on. Or
may be there can be another problem? will check valve clearance anyway
but think that it is not a problem...

Thanx in advance for any advice

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Try using higher octane fuel. I had some knocking when my car was warm also and i started using 91 octane. I came to this conclusion cause i was using 91 octane and then my dad borrowed the car and used 87 octane, i heard knocking which got me a lil worried and when i took it about a week ago for gas i put in 91 like always and it went away. Hope this works

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Does the noise stop if you hit the gas or change gears to a lower one. I know on long hills sometimes the engine will start to do that jingling thing then stop if you hit the gas. Switch to 92 octane if thats the case. GM cars do this all the time.

Chris 92 classic

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
My car pings like that. I beleive that in hot weather the intake air is less dense so the mixture becomes lean. Alot of this is also due to advanced timing. More heat is created with advanced timing because more fuel is burning. My recommendation is to either run higher octane or retard the timeing untill the weather starts to cool down.

·
Registered
475 Posts
We just had the 5 main crankshaft bearings replaced on one of your Sentra's as it was rattling like crazy and lost a lot of power. I was thinking it was the transaxel since I changed the fluid and engine oil at the same time thus, made the knocking worse. So, the car worked relatively well for a week although the "check engine light" would come on but go off after an hour and if I accelerated hard from a light the engine would rev very loud, so much so it was almost painful on my ears. Later the week the knocking/ticking started to come back and after this weekend it's almost as bad before the bearings were replaced. I should mention, there was a slow oil leak and it ran low several times so this is the main reason for all the trouble. I just wish my parents would listen to me at times when I say the car needs to be fixed NOW instead of 6 months later...in the end it costs them more from the extra damage that is done.

The mechanic said when he replaced the bearings the first time they were busted and ground to pieces and they scored the crankshaft bad. He couldn't guarantee it to last since the crank was in the shape it was. So, since the crankshaft wasn't replaced...the bearings are gone again. This is my mother's car so I didn't have much say in what was done and I never knew what was gone until it was fixed. Perhaps our mishap will help some of you...and it may be best to replace the crankshaft while your at it.

Anyone know of an inexpensive place to get a crankshaft for a GA16DE? I found one kit on google.com for $167 from www.importperformanceparts.net upwards to $616 from www.courtesyparts.com.

I wasn't sure if the quality between the 2 is the same. I'll spend this week looking around a new crank anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
yeah my friend has a 240sx and he has higher compression so he has to put higher octane in or it will knock...and my other friend who has a sentra advanced his timing and he has to use high octane fuel or it will knock......also my car a 200sx seems to have a rattling sound around 2,000 to 3,000 rpm and i have no clue what that is...

·
Registered
393 Posts
i would just check the timing. you shouldn't have to run 91 on a stock ga16 unless somethings off

·
Registered
339 Posts
V i V i D 200sx said:
i would just check the timing. you shouldn't have to run 91 on a stock ga16 unless somethings off
There's also some thing that might be part of the pinging problem, these engines have some "Knock Sensor" that advances or retards timing +/- 10 degrees if it hears detonation or pinging so tecnically the timing changes a bit... could this be part of the problem?

·
Registered
393 Posts
ga16 does not have a knock sensor. i think the sr20s do

·
Registered
339 Posts
V i V i D 200sx said:
ga16 does not have a knock sensor. i think the sr20s do
You sure? then why have a distributor with crank angle sensor? i'll take a look under the car when i change oil filter the weekend....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts