Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was pulling out of the car wash, when i started to hear a slight knocking noise. It sounded like something might be catching the rims. I got out and looked and there was nothing in the way and i do not think that it was the rotors. Ok, so i take it home and jack it up and on the bottom of the oil pan i saw some oil. Now, im not sure if this is from a leaking crank seal or if it is from something else. Also I have had 2 CV joints break within the last year. Can someone PLEASE help?
THANKS.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, I did a search, and am still not sure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
does it knock all the time? high RPM? Lo RPM? just when you rev it? idle?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BadBoy91 said:
does it knock all the time? high RPM? Lo RPM? just when you rev it? idle?
Um havent tried it in neutral or park but i could hear it when i was going slow then when i sped up i couldnt hear it as much.

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
if your cv joints broke and they havent been repaired they will make a popping noise when you makes turns and such because theres no grease in the boot to lube the joints. if its coming from the engine theres a good chance that it could be the timing belt tensioner

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
91sentra said:
if your cv joints broke and they havent been repaired they will make a popping noise when you makes turns and such because theres no grease in the boot to lube the joints. if its coming from the engine theres a good chance that it could be the timing belt tensioner
Well the first time they broke i thought it was my tranny because it sounded like it was grinding gears and it wouldnt go anywhere. If it is the timing belt tensioner would it just start doing it all of a sudden?

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
meangreen200sx said:
Well the first time they broke i thought it was my tranny because it sounded like it was grinding gears and it wouldnt go anywhere. If it is the timing belt tensioner would it just start doing it all of a sudden?
If it was the tensioner, it would make clicking sounds especially when accelerating. Have the CV boots been repaired or do the still need to be replaced?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
91sentra said:
If it was the tensioner, it would make clicking sounds especially when accelerating. Have the CV boots been repaired or do the still need to be replaced?
They have been replaced 2 times. They broke again barely like 4 or 5 months after i had them replaced the second time. I have no idea why. I really do not drive like a bat out of hell. I used to but not anymore. I take it easy on her.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to take her around the block real fast. If you are on in like 10 or 15 mins. i will try to get an update

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kind of a relief. I think it is the CV joints AGAIN. umm yeah i put her in park and revved her up and she purred and it was beautiful. However when i started driving at slow speeds it was knocking pretty bad. Looks like i will be paying another visit to the guy at the tire/brake shop tomorrow. At least it aint the engine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a front lower tie (arm) bar, but it is not on yet. Would putting this on help keep this crap from happening all the dang time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
91sentra said:
do you get new boots put on or get reman. axles, cause if you just get new boots evertime and they keep breaking then theres something else wrong w/ the joint so maybe try to get a new one.
i got new ones both times because the first time it totally disabled my car, and i had to have it towed and the wheel barings fell out and the second time i got a new one because it was under warranty. so what about the front lower tie bar?

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
meangreen200sx said:
i got new ones both times because the first time it totally disabled my car, and i had to have it towed and the wheel barings fell out and the second time i got a new one because it was under warranty. so what about the front lower tie bar?
unless your alignment is severly out of specs then it shouldnt be a problem. I f the alignment was very off it would keep the joint at a severe angle that would place more stress on it making it wear out faster......but other than that im not sure unless i looked at it

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
91sentra said:
unless your alignment is severly out of specs then it shouldnt be a problem. I f the alignment was very off it would keep the joint at a severe angle that would place more stress on it making it wear out faster......but other than that im not sure unless i looked at it
That could be it. I just got 15s and noticed after i put them on that it pulled alot to the left. anyways, do u have msn or something it would be alot easier than leaving a message every 5 seconds. lol.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey, today it isnt knocking.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i took my car to the tire shop this morning to get my tires switched around and they said the lugs were loose. i didnt even think about mentioning the knocking. could loose lugs be the sourse of the knocking?

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
meangreen200sx said:
i took my car to the tire shop this morning to get my tires switched around and they said the lugs were loose. i didnt even think about mentioning the knocking. could loose lugs be the sourse of the knocking?
yeah it could definantly make a nocking noise also could have ruined your tires and rims from shaking. but your problem wasnt as funny as mine i had a bad knocking noise and turns out my tranny was comming unbolted lol 4 bolts where like 1/4" out lol. glad to hear you got it fixed

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
Skoodles said:
but your problem wasnt as funny as mine i had a bad knocking noise and turns out my tranny was comming unbolted lol 4 bolts where like 1/4" out lol. glad to hear you got it fixed
Hmmm. And when I suggested to you to check the tranny side of the motor to make sure everything good so you could rule it out you said that it couldn't be the tranny. LOL. Could have saved you from tearing apart the motor.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 25 Posts