Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ecu throwing a knock sensor code!

anyone know how bad this could be. I know what the knock sensor does but, could it just be a bad sensor?

also, my check engine light wasnt working so i replaced it when i pulled the codes and now its on all the time! However, my manual says that the knock sensor code wont turn the engine light on it will just store it. But, that is the only code its throwing besides an oxygen sensor.

when i check the codes and then clear them and start the car the engine light stays off until the next time i turn on the car. Im wondering if my shit starter is shaking the block badly enough to throw the code....sound resonable?

anyone replace the knock sensor.....

when its throwing a code it can retard your timing up to 10deg.!

i need this fixed!

Help!

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's located on the back of the block under the intake manifold. It has a 12mm bolt that holds it on and is kinda a PITA to get to. Just unplug the harness and remove the bolt thats it. Don't drop or abuse this part or it'll be toast. That would suck sense this is about $150+ from nissan for a new one:(

·
Registered
71 Posts
Keep in mind when swapping out the sensor, it needs to be torqued to a specific amount, and it's nearly impossible to get a torque wrench on it with the motor in the car.

It might be the wiring harness, too. My G20 is throwing this code and I've swapped out 3 det sensors from other engines that did not throw a code. So now it's down to the harness. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as grounding the wire to the det sensor. Frankly, I'm going to swap out my motor (it has a pretty good rod knock) and redo the wiring for the det sensor while in in there. Another option is to get a JWT ECU and have Clark remove the det sensor.

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
knock sensor

Hi i have a 95 nissan altima se and i did the ecu test because my checking engine light was on well my results of the test was: my knock sensor wasn't work properly and i have tu replace it but after one week my engine light turn off and i didnt replace the knock sensor, i ask to my mechanic what can i do about it and he said " if the light comes on again change the knock sensor well but now i feel that my engine and my wheel sometimes are shaking and sometimes dont i also feel like my car is hard to accelarate well i would like to know if the engine light is off the knock sensor need to change please answear me my email is [email protected].

thanks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
klusmann8411 said:
Hi i have a 95 nissan altima se and i did the ecu test because my checking engine light was on well my results of the test was: my knock sensor wasn't work properly and i have tu replace it but after one week my engine light turn off and i didnt replace the knock sensor, i ask to my mechanic what can i do about it and he said " if the light comes on again change the knock sensor well but now i feel that my engine and my wheel sometimes are shaking and sometimes dont i also feel like my car is hard to accelarate well i would like to know if the engine light is off the knock sensor need to change please answear me my email is [email protected].

thanks. :rolleyes:

Klusmann.....did you fix this problem, because I am having the same issues as you with my 99 Pathfinder.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was getting a knock sensor code when I bought my car, we simply used a volt meter to test it and it wasnt right. got a new one for around $100, installed it and it works fine now. If you cant find it anywhere else.. tomorrow I will try and remember what the voltage going through it should be and post.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I wouldn't replace squat until you've cleared the codes a few times and ruled out all possibility of a false positive. The knock sensor code can be triggered a number of ways, just fyi.

Most accurate thing to do next is test the ohm rating on the sensor. Instructions for testing the knock sensor are in the FSM.

DAMN these OLD Grave Yard Posts!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sentrixx said:
How are you all getting these codes your talking about? Are you hoooking something up to the car?
I was using a scanning tool from our shop. There is another way to get it.. there is intructions somewhere here on manually pulling codes.

And yeah.. it came up a couple times a week, then we checked the sensor itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's located on the back of the block under the intake manifold. It has a 12mm bolt that holds it on and is kinda a PITA to get to. Just unplug the harness and remove the bolt thats it. Don't drop or abuse this part or it'll be toast. That would suck sense this is about $150+ from nissan for a new one:(

Hello just wanted to ask where the knock sensor harness plug is located and if you knew where it leads to?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts