Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine that I am talking about has already been replaced for SR20 but when the car was at idle all the way to 2 grand no bad sounds ran smooth. When you hit 2 1/2 to 4 grand the car would give out a knocking noise but as soon as you got out of that range it would go away either higher than 4 grand or lower than 2 1/2.

Any Ideas on this just for futher referance? Ive seen that alot of people had problems with Vaulve clicking but does anyone know what this could have been or ever had this problem??

Thank :thumbup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have exactly that problem w/ the engine on my 93... My Pop and I just pulled it out last night, so we're gonna rip it apart and diagnose it for sure, but our best guess was a wrist pin. If the wrist pin is a little worn, it'll let the piston slap around on it, this will cause that type of noise. And lemme guess, it also knocked as soon as you started it up for like a second then when the idle went down to normal after that first second it stopped right aways? Cause that's what mine did. Well if you're going to try to fix it good luck... When my Pop and I finally get the time to tear it down, I'll tell you all what the problem was, just to further everyone's knowledge...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea mine would do it a bit on start not much but at Idle you couldnt hear it at all. I thought it was Piston slap. Some said it was a bent pushrod that could do that also...

I already took then engine out because we cracked the piston because we overreved it... hehe being stupid of course.

Well keep me updated Id love to know what was wrong.

·
Registered
446 Posts
aight...no problem...I'll keep you updated as I go along...but I don't think we're gonna rip apart too much until I can order some parts, which means I have to wait to get some cash...

·
LUCKY SLIDES 2 2/25/06
504 Posts
240luvr said:
I have exactly that problem w/ the engine on my 93... My Pop and I just pulled it out last night, so we're gonna rip it apart and diagnose it for sure, but our best guess was a wrist pin. If the wrist pin is a little worn, it'll let the piston slap around on it, this will cause that type of noise. And lemme guess, it also knocked as soon as you started it up for like a second then when the idle went down to normal after that first second it stopped right aways? Cause that's what mine did. Well if you're going to try to fix it good luck... When my Pop and I finally get the time to tear it down, I'll tell you all what the problem was, just to further everyone's knowledge...
most likely it is a wrist pin had not 1 but 3 break at the same time and dropped me to 1 cylinder so i suggest a rebuild cuz if you keep running it. it shall go BOOOOOOOM!!!!

Don

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol mine goes knock knock knock lol and spit out black smoke.

Now I got my SR20 fully built :thumbup:

Got the thing dyno tested... 370.18 HP at the rear wheels :fluffy:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Have you diagnosed what cylinder it is yet? I diagnosed mine but letting the car idle, then one by one pulling the plug wires out and if the knock stopped then that was the cylinder...mine was the #4 cylinder.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I can go get the engine and run it on a engine Dyno and find out though. I believe mine is either the 1 or 4... Its on the end just dont know which end lol. :)

It may be the 4th... Ill find out later today. We are gonna be working on my ECU today anyway.. Programming in a street setting so Im not running around on 20 pound of boost. lol
Ill be sure to report back. We may tear down that block to sell the block and tranny anyway so Ill find out for sure and try to take some pics. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts